1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Superego tracking

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by volerium, Mar 27, 2014.

1. volerium

volerium Supporting Member

Just got this pedal in the mail right now and am super disappointed with the tracking on it... anyone else experience this? Have any tips?

I'm going to try a boost in front of it. I don't currently have a compressor, thought that might help a bit too

Thanks in advance

2. eloann

eloann

Just don't use it in "auto" mode. Or attack heavily with a pick.

3. volerium

Well I bought it simply for the auto mode, to make arpeggio riffs using a bass. Still playing with it, cool pedal just not what I expected

4. Michedelic

Michedelic

It's a great pedal, but you do have to finesse it a bit. A compressor before might help(if you get one, you should have it at the beginning of your FX chain anyway)but it won't solve all your problems. Have you had any experience with delay looping? it takes some practice and coordination to catch and 'freeze' the note with the attack you desire on the SE, but it gets easier over time. Have you tried the effects send/receive loop yet? This is where the tiny Mooer and Hotone pedals come in handy. I've experimented with chorus, flange, phase, and pitch shift/harmony. The advantage of this is that you can independently effect your drone note, but leave your 'through' note(s) clean, or run into a different effect down the line. This isn't a set-and-forget box, you really have to interface with it, but it can do a lot of interesting stuff.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

I had one .... Def doesn't track like a Micropog but it tracks decent if you get the technique down.

It needs to be first in line if your using other pedals ... & I found it isn't as much about playing hard as playing sharply, if that makes sense. A pick def can help but I had just as much luck with my fingers after a while.

You have to play very accurately.

Putting a compressor in front of it didn't make much difference ...at lease not in my setup

7. Michedelic

Michedelic

You should check into the Earthquaker Devices Arpanoid(so-named, I suspect, as it harkens back to the old ARP 3600 synthesizer sequencer as heard on The Who's 'Baba O'Reilly'), the Way Huge Ring Worm, or possibly the EHX Random Tone Generator. But don't give up on the Superego.

8. volerium

Yeah it does seem to be very 'touchy'. It's a cool pedal for sure, just turns out to be one of those that doesn't do what I bought it for exactly. I played through it just straight into the amp and it sounded really good. Now I have it in my chain and it's bass, loop master patch bay, tuner, boost, superego.. and even that seems to kill some of the sensitivity of it. But still playing around for now.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone