Superjazz experience

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Discharge, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Discharge

Discharge

Hi guys, I need your help.

I'm a Brit expat living in Abu Dhabi and i'd like to myself just one bass since due to the nature of being an expat I might have to move somewhere else in the world.

I've come to the conclusion that the only way i'm going to be happy with that is by getting a semi-custom/custom bass, as a self-confessed GAS sufferer.

The most i've ever personally spent on a bass was probably the Sandberg TM4... but for this purchase i'm willing to go deep, so the budget is $3-4K.

Right now from my research the XOTiC XJ-1T is my favorite so far, I really like the weight (I don't like light basses), even tone across the fretboard and how smooth and deep the it sounds.

I know it's shallow but it's important to me as I view my basses as art as much as an instrument and like to have them on display; I don't like the lack of color options for this bass, i've contacted them and requested a custom finish... we'll see what they say.

I'd really like to know what your experiences are from convincing yourself to buy, any issues from the family spending so much on a bass, the ordering process/dealing with the company and owning them...etc ideally i'd like to hear from people who bought them new as I know from experience it's a different bond.

Cheers

2. Discharge

Discharge

3. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham

I can't help you out here, but I'm thinking along the exact same lines for a similar reason. Get something decent what I can keep with me and keeping the others the sort of thing I wouldn't mind selling for peanuts or giving to the local music school.

One that has been catching my eye a lot is the Overwater J series, and having played one and the way that felt I really liked it and I quite like the way they look too as a "decorative" piece. Another that I've been thinking on is the Status T-Bass as I've played a lot of Rob Green's machines in the past, and every time I have, I am blown away about how they are put together.

The other way I've been thinking of doing it, is finding myself a nice Fender J, and tricking that out with what hardware load I'd like in there; and whilst it may not be a "custom" build, at least I would be able to put what I want in a bass without having the option limit of a particular builder.

Sorry I can't provide anything more than that, but am subscribing to this as it's pertinent to me too!

4. Davo-London

Davo-London

Can't help you with this company, but I went through this whole experience. I contacted a number of custom builders and ended up going to Cliff Bordwell:

http://www.cbbasses.com

Great experience and great guy - took about 9 months from initial contact.

Davo

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

This is Sheldon Dingwall's latest iteration of a Super Jazz bass. The bodies are now thinner and solid versus chambered:

[​IMG]

He has a solid, well-deserve reputation for crafting playable works of art.

This is one that he built for me last year:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Discharge

Discharge

How long did it take for your Dingwall to be made?

How different is it from a non custom jazz and in what way, except for the fretboard design anyway.

8. spiritbass

It was a five month wait for the build. At the time, the differences between the standard and custom models were that the standard had a pick guard and control plate. The custom had no pick guard and was rear-routed. When an ash body was specified, the body was chambered swamp ash topped with northern ash. The 2014 models have a thinner, non-chambered body which is rear-routed and has a pick guard. They also have optional switches for series/parallel switching of each pickup. I don't know what the third switch does. The fanned fret multi-scale design is standard on all Dingwall basses. The 'Super series' is considered a medium scale Dingwall. The B is 35" and the G is 32".

9. Discharge

Discharge

How long have you had the Dingwall now and would you go down the high-end/custom route again?

10. reddavid

reddavid

+1 for Dingwall Super J (that became a Super P/J!) It's nice to have that choice in the same instrument. Sheldon has them routed for both at the factory. Great all-around bass.

[​IMG]

11. spiritbass

I've had this particular one since the fall of 2012. Yes, I would go down the high-end custom road again, but only with Dingwall.

12. Discharge

Discharge

I may have confused things here but by Superjazz I ment super high end jazz type basses, not just Dingwall :oops:

13. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Not sure if they ship internationally (you'd have to ask), but you might look at the Carvin SB5000 or the P/J version of the PB5. You can get some pretty amazing tops on them (like the triple step stain on flamed or burled maple), birdseye boards, all kinds of options.

I've been fortunate to own or have owned some nice basses--like an MTD 35, Sadowsky Metro RV5 and MV5, a couple FBass BN5s and VF5s--and the SB5K I picked up used as an impulse buy amazed me with the build quality.

Doesn't quite have the cachet of a boutique builder, no--but excellent quality IME.

14. Discharge

Discharge

What i'm trying to get out of this thread is what the custom shop experience is like, what compelled you to take that extra step (especially if you're not a professional musician like me) and how you feel these 'super' spec instruments differ to the mid and mid-high level spec gear?

15. spiritbass

I understood your meaning. I don't bother with anything other than Dingwall basses anymore and was sharing part of my experience. Good luck in the pursuit of your super jazz. :)

16. Discharge

Discharge

I do like the dingwall, perhaps a silly question... but did you play one before ordering?

17. spiritbass

No. I ordered on the strength of their reputation among players and an overwhelming desire to try multiscale.

18. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    Not to get all Dingwall up I'm here, but I just got this Super J/P today and so far just LOVE it ImageUploadedByTalkBass1390795281.688578.jpg

19. voodoobassist

voodoobassist

I owned an xotic 5 string for a while. Extremely nice bass, which I didn't buy new, so can't help on that part of your question. I flipped it after a while because I found the neck profile to be a bit too chunky for my tastes. Mine reminded me more of a precision neck profile than a jazz. I owned a Lakland DJ5 at the same time and preferred the DJ over the xotic hands down. They are extremely nice basses, just didn't fit my particular taste.

20. Discharge

Discharge

I've owned a DJ5 before, really liked it but it felt a bit too light for me and had a little neck dive, it had a J-Retro.

How does the tone compare?

21. bubinga5

bubinga5