1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Supernova Bass project : Ovular content

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JIO, Feb 23, 2014.

1. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    In the process of another custom build in the mode of my 24 fret EMG-X Firemist Gold Metallic Supersonic. (a smashing success) As a recent convert of early 90's Fender J's, this time I'm creating a unique 4-string based on my '93 American Standard "boner" J using neck & bridge Delano theXtender (oval) duel-coil pu's (ouch - not cheap!), powered by an Audere JZ3 9v preamp (a fave of mine), with a Schaller adjustable HM bridge (super nice design), and Deluxe mini tuners. It will have an all maple 22 fret J profile neck w/a unique design hs. The body will be made of red alder, and I already have the 3-piece slab. It will be painted an opaque colour, and right now I'm considering the late '70's early '80's Fender "Internation" series Sahara Taupe. It will sport a parchment pearl pickguard. I chose the Delano's for looks only - can anyone offer their personal insights on personal use? There are only a couple of youtube vids featuring them and not much otherwise. I posted an inquiry on the tb section related to pu's with little feedback other than Delano pu's in general are good.

Here's a superimposition of my US '93 American Standard "boner" J and my Supernova concept design. The design modifications start w/the forearm scallop to cradle/rest against for comfort. The lower fluted section allows for standing the bass up on its own w/o fear of tipping, which is a problem for a standard J body. The strap-peg is nestled in the base arch. I've eliminated/truncated the lower horn and kept the knee rest area intact. And finally, I've tapered the upper "boner" horn which fortunately (and deliberately) eliminates that unfortunate visual reference. Like the Supersonic, my design intent is funtional, streamline and modern.
    [​IMG]
    This shows a standard jack/placement but I will be doing a rear mount strat-cup/jack instead.
    [​IMG]
    showing Audere pre and control knob mock-up w/chrome rings/plates
    [​IMG]
    Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass from the late '90's as a gestalt example of Sahara Taupe/parchment pearl/maple
    [​IMG]
    headstock option A:
    [​IMG]
    headstock option B:
    [​IMG]

2. JIO

Disclosures:
    These are the mini Deluxe-type tuners that I'll be using on this bass.
    [​IMG]
    And this is the bridge:
    [​IMG]

3. tbrannon

tbrannon

Cool idea. I definitely prefer headstock option B!

4. JIO

Disclosures:
    A is for a Fender-style (straight) hs w/tree and B is a Gibson style set-back design, like my Supersonic. I'm leaning that direction as it's functionally a far better hs design. It would be scalloped like the body.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JIO

Disclosures:
    Here's a preliminary sketch for the B option (which I am choosing) I modeled it after the narrower hs shape that Fender used on many of the 90's 22 fret neck basses including the Plus/Deluxe series. The smaller sculpted heads on the mini-tuners are more in scale w/this smaller hs shape. Please ignore the "angled nut" - just a late night mis-draw. :meh: As on my Suoersonic, the hs face will be painted the Sahara Taupe and the scallop will stay natural.

[​IMG]

7. kris pung

kris pung

Awesome design can't wait to see it take shape.

8. JIO

Disclosures:
    thanks Kris - how's playing your cool 5'r been?

9. kris pung

kris pung

Great it's been my main player sense I finished it. That said I've been toying with adding a bridge J pup for some additional bite.

10. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    JIO-
    Your designs never fail to impress. This one, like your Performer "revamp", looks like it's bound to be another winner.

I like how the peghead has a little more to the shape than your Performer HS, which allows the scallop to both fill the dead space and echo the body scallop, and the lettering/layout of the logo following the scallop looks great. You should try to keep that if possible imo.
    Not really a fan of the Delano ovals shapewise, but I hear they're good PUs and they look good with your bass body shape.
    Overall it looks well considered as a bass design, and should be pretty cool when finished.

Definitely watching this.

11. JIO

Disclosures:
    excellent - additional bite is good!

12. JIO

Disclosures:
    Glad you'll be checking in and thanks for your support! I haven't pulled the trigger on the pu's yet, but I'm pretty set on the design so hope they will sound good in the end. The only other possible option I have for now is whether the neck w/be a P or a J. I play both but am mostly a J guy. I think it will come down to standing in front of my luthier before I decide.

13. Splods

Splods

Jio, why aren't you Patenting these and starting your own shop! Every time I see a new thread of yours, I wonder if I could lose a kidney for one of these.

14. kris pung

kris pung

Big B. did a build with one of those pups not too long ago, maybe he'll chime in with how they sound.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/4-string-double-cutaway-curly-maple-bocote-863069/

15. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

I'm very much interested in seeing how this turns out. Very cool design!

16. IvanMunoz

IvanMunoz

I think going with headstock A fit's the design the best. The bass already looks like a sweet spaceship, the headstock would be the icing on the cake.
    Love me some JIO builds.
    Asymetrical isn't my thing, but I'm sure you will execute this amazingly.
    The arm cutout is my favorite part of the design.
    Gold would look really sweet on it, but I think adding a small amount of very large flakes would look sweet. Kinda go with that whole galaxy look, and maybe jsut a pinch of tiny purple flakes.

EDIT: This may look cool too, pickguard wise:
    [​IMG]

17. JIO

Disclosures:
    Maybe in my next life, or when I win the lottery (oh, I forgot - first I need to play the lottery...) However, I'm not against making a very limited edition, so we'll see.

18. JIO

Disclosures:
    As far as the colour goes - I'm set on Sahara Taupe/parchment pearl/maple. I hear you about the galaxy angle, but there's something about this combo that is so perfect and a bit less predictable. Sahara Taupe is a very "fashionable" shade, like something you'd find at the Macy's cosmetic counter - not a common guitar colour. The "space age" concept originated in the 50's, a time when this type of shade was everywhere in fashion. Not the obvious retro Fender collection from that time including Shell Pink, Foam Green or Fiesta Red, but an odd sort of non-R&R finish. Even Fender labeling them as "International" colours set the tone - sophisticated, elegant, fashionable. So in that respect this build is leaning toward 'modern', maybe even more than the Supersonic.

19. JIO

Disclosures:
    So, here's how things go sometimes.., I wanted to use these nice MIK tuners on the Supernova. I bought them new a while back for about $35 or so. (excellent value)

[​IMG]

These specifically are on my P/J Jag P neck. I saw (what looked like) some on ebay (used? or whatever) for a good price and bought them. They arrived and upon inspection they were cheap POS MIC spin-offs of the high quality MIK tuners as seen on my Jag. I shot a pic but it's hard to discern unless you are in front of them side-by-side. I sent them back. And.., no others were to be found.

[​IMG]

O-K.., so while looking on ebay, I found a set of EXC condition '80's vintage Schaller Deluxe F-stamped tuners! My favorites along w/late '60's lollypops! Quite rare to see a set for sale. I was lucky enough to get them for a good price so here's the long and the short of it; the '80's Deluxe Schallers go on my '93 boner (bass in the spotlight), the flat-paddle version of the same tuners now on the boner move to the Jag (Squier w/a Fender authorized neck-family ties), and these slick little mini-Deluxe tuners will move on over to the Supernova! My own version of "musical chairs".

Point of this little story is that I'm getting pretty fed-up w/crap from China. Sorry, but when you see 2 similar looking things side by side and one (made in Korea) is made w/really high standards and the other (made in China) is crude and sub-standard.., and not that different in price... as consumers of such items, we need to "just send it back" (the new "just do it" campaign) and not ease into accepting cheap crap and lowering standards. Seriously.

20. JIO

Disclosures:
    Got the Schaller hm adjustable bridge. Super nice design and top notch quality. Slowly getting the parts together for a build is part of the fun! (haven't ordered the Delano's yet) Depending on priorities, a build can lurch from one stage to the next w/big spaces between. I'm guessing by fall I'll have this one together. That's ok w/me as I have no deadline. Every time I play my Supersonic, or my early '66 tribute J, the months it took to complete them are the furthest thing from my mind. Life is right now, and each step forward is exciting! I toast to all the mad-projects that live in the Luthiers Corner section! Enjoy every minute of your build!

[​IMG]

21. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Cool design, looks like an awesome project.

p.s. You stole my first bass build name :bag:

p.p.s it's still not done cause i'm lacking money for the moment & mine is different :D