SOLD Surf Green Fender Jazz Mutt-Fullerton RI Neck-$750

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by A-Step-Towards, Jan 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Here is a awesome jazz for your consideration. I basically consider this bass a relic. It has better parts then a road worn jazz and is priced at what a used one of those goes for. If you are looking for a mint piece this is not for you.

The body is a surf green MIJ era Fender Body. It is a lovely feel to it and has very correct vintage era contours. The pickups are the original pickups and sound great. The bridge is original as is the grounding strip. Light patina on both. The control plate has a lot of patina going on and inside are all newer CTS pots . The body has fading where some areas got greener or blue-ish such as where a bridge cover was for years ( I don't have the cover) under the guard and around the neck pocket. There are light dings on the body, not many though and no chips or exposed wood.

The guard I was told by the seller in his words was a " tortoiseshell Fullerton nitrate pickguard" I believe that to be true and although the holes line up its shrank a little so some screws angle a bit.

The neckplate dates to Fender Fullerton and the year 1962 but I think its just a plate that was reproduce and I don't believe its original 60s, it could be but I have no idea how to tell a original plate from a reproduced one.

The seller said this about the neck "The neck is either a Fullerton reissue or an older Fender neck the with no markings. It is definitely Fender just not for sure on the year." I upon looking at the neck in person am about 99% sure its a fullerton era fender 62 RI Neck. It is Very hard to see the stamp and I took a photo but I am pretty sure it says "sep 84" the stamp is more clear in person. It has a strap button hole on the back of the headstock but the strap button is missing. As are 3 of the 16 screws to hold the tuners on, underneath the tuners there are no additional holes so it has worn vintage stemmed tuners its whole existance.

The truss rod nut turns both ways. It looks like some wood around it was gouged most likely due to being adjusted with the neck on and not a proper tool. The board is dark and beautiful. It appears that either flats were always used or its a recent refret as the frets are awesome, very tall. They also have a great shine to them as well and really do look brand new. The finish on the neck is strange, the headstock is glossy but the back of the neck is smooth but has a finish and is satin-ish. I really can't say if the whole neck was refinished or maybe a finish was applied on top of the older finish in areas. It could just be play wear I guess as well because the back of the neck is very broken in feeling. It looks good, it feels good so I don't tamper with it.

The bass sounds phenomenal. Its plays fantastic. I really don't like how skinny jazz necks are but I enjoy playing this one as my hand floats so easy while fretting. I use this bass for songs I wrote that have a lot of harmonics as it works fantastic for that. The parts together made a bass that looks really authentic for a old fender jazz. I have also priced it right around what I think the neck is worth alone almost. I am willing to part it out but please dont post how much in the thread , PM me. I believe I can get more parting it out but I think that would be a shame as the bass really plays great.

The bass looks like it could tell stories and it came to me in a tattered roadrunner gig bag with a pawn slip inside it, so its had some adventures.

It will ship with that same gig bag and the pawn slip is still in there.

If the surf green isnt your thing I could put the neck on a Fender classic 60s J Bass Body in Sunburst, same price.

$750 Shipped, Pretty firm. If you can pick it up its $700.

I cant get a good photo but pretty sure it says sep 84

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus Supporting Member

3. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Beautiful bass Bump.

4. A-Step-Towards

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JeffplaysBass

JeffplaysBass Supporting Member

Nice bass!!....and interest trade +$$ for Thunderfunk 750?

7. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

Fullerton neck should have date in pencil, not a stamp. At least my Sept '83 does. Also looks like yours has decals under the finish? Not correct for AVRI, if so.

I once bought a used stack knob jazz that was supposed to be AVRI, back in the mid 90s. It was surf green too, and had a satin finish on the neck that puzzled me. A couple of other things didn't add up to me and I sold it.

8. headband

headband Supporting Member

All of the Fullerton slab necks that I have seen have part of the truss rod bore into the rosewood as shown in the photo.
    But I have seen only a few.

Attached Files:

9. Sumatra

Sumatra

hey

Is there any chance to see any video on YouTube or hear any clip here oh this bass?

Cheers
    Luca

10. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

Indeed

11. A-Step-Towards

Interesting thanks for the info. The seller said he believed it fullerton or actual 60s fender which I dismissed due to it having plastic dot markers, its hard for me to believe its a real 60s fender neck but if it was its been tweaked with newer frets and plastic dots.

I am not 100% on anything the neck is, it is indeed fender US made though. If its real 60's, fullerton, a later AV neck such as a late 80's/90's I am unsure.

I think regardless at my price its a good buy so I doubt I will do any real detective work to figure out 100% what it is.

12. chrisplaysbass

chrisplaysbass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: labella strings, Aguilar Amplification, Cusack Electronics, Xotic effects
  13. A-Step-Towards

no idea on the weight, i dont own any bass 10+.

14. A-Step-Towards

15. A-Step-Towards

16. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

That makes sense, and I agree. A bass that looks good, sounds good, and plays well is worth $750.

So.....somebody buy it already!

17. A-Step-Towards

I do get curious as to exactly what the neck is but with Fenders productions over lapping this and that I dont think I will pin point it without paying a pricey verification.

TGIF BUMP:)

18. A-Step-Towards

19. A-Step-Towards

Sold locally for $700 to a very happy guy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.