1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Surge Suppressors - Use 'em? Stories?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by frits51, Feb 2, 2013.

1. frits51

frits51 Supporting Member

I've decided to use a TVSS (transient voltage surge suppressor) to protect my amp. I use one at home and have decided to take one with me when I go out. I'd like to pick up one that has some EMI and/or RFI filtering as well.

What are your thoughts? Any stories?

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Furman rack strips. Saved the equipment from a lightning surge (monsoon in the Az desert). It is the older model with voltage read out that help to know what line voltage we are getting. It also isolated noise from a noisy Laptop SMPS (ac adapter).

3. subbasshz

subbasshz

Disclosures:
    Im addicted to punishing volume.
    found a monster power center that was over 500$ new at a estate sale for 60$ gotta protect those tube amps from. . . az monsoons. . . . weird. . . .

4. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

No so weird for the other band playing that night. Their gig was over with fried amps, we finished the night and no repairs. The Monster is almost worth what you paid for it, if it takes a hit Monster's usually don't survive. You will have to route around them to finish (unprotected). I was present at demonstration to watch the Monster's flame out, the Furman and Tripplite continue to be operational.

5. Register to disable this ad