Surprised by the Hartke LH1000 (Entomophobics do not click!)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by rizzo9247, Nov 29, 2012.

1. rizzo9247

rizzo9247 Supporting Member

So I bought a used Hartke LH1000 to keep at the practice space, but before I lugged it over, I decided to play with it in the bedroom with my LDS 15/6. As soon as I turn it on, I hear a tick tick tick as the fan is blowing. I unplug and screw off the top to take a look inside:

Neatly organized guts. I did have to tighten the four screws on the bottom as my large cheese wheel was a little loose :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't seem to find what would be making this noise. So I turn the amp on and notice it immediately. Sort of a Seinfeld/Marine Biologist/Whale/Golf ball moment: it was a wing!

[​IMG]

It was hanging by a cobweb gently knocking into the rear fan...spider must have vacated long before...

Anyway, while I was here, I thought I would pull the preamp tube. Since I bought it used, does anyone know if this is the stock tube?:

[​IMG]

So I buttoned in back up, plugged in my SB5000 and went to town (Hey, Literal Police, I didn't leave my bedroom). I was having so much fun tweaking the "simple" EQ, I didn't realize I was playing for almost an hour. Don't let those three knobs fool you, the EQ is quite potent. All knobs at noon are definitely not "flat" but did sound pretty good. Kill the treble, dime the mids and back off the bass some and you have yourself a nice finger-style groove thang working. Countless other settings later, I soon realized that this amp stays almost completely clean as you bring up your volume. I had it bridged @ 750W into my 15/6 and it was shaking the pictures off the walls with clean clean tube mojo! I may add something later (ie VT pedal) if I want some dirt, or swap a preamp tube, but right now I can't wait to try it with the band and see works best!!!

2. ntenny

ntenny

Kinda disappointing---the subject line led me to expect some sort of horror-show infestation of giant hissing cockroaches or something! :)

-NT

3. rizzo9247

rizzo9247 Supporting Member

A wing is enough for most insect fearing folks. In NYC, we have more to worry about with the giant rats!!

4. Tigford

Tigford

Or giant rats with wings, AKA: pigeons!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

:)Great to hear about the EQ being so useful. I'm waiting for my new one to get here while my Amp of another brand sit's broken atop of my Cabinets.:atoz:

7. Daniel Piper

Daniel Piper Supporting Member

I live in a country where hartke is all but non existent. With all the love tbat t h e l500 and l1000 get, i am beginning to feel like i am missing out

Cool wing tho
    :bassist:

8. Dakotah

Dakotah

Went to Sam A. ,set on buying a GK,tried it then the Hartke LH1000-bought the Hartke and a HX410 cab,later on a HX115.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The tube is most likely stock, as it's a Sovtek and a lot of manufacturers use Sovteks as OEM.