Survey: Music Sales Are Just 6% of Average Musician’s Income (U.S.)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by lostcontrol_, Jan 14, 2013.

1. lostcontrol_

lostcontrol_

2. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

That is a very interesting article. It is not what I would expect, but after seeing the data, it does make sense.
  3. oniman7

oniman7

How many musicians do you personally know that make more than a couple thousand a year on music sales? I'm willing to bet most are paid for gigs and recording sessions, if not private lessons.
  4. pklima

pklima

Not really surprising. I quit trying to sell recorded music about five years ago. I am kinda surprised by how tiny merchandise is. Between hardcore band shirts and Shakira fragrances I'd expect that to amount to more.

Will have to read the whole paper a bit later.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pklima

pklima

Still haven't read the whole paper, but Figure 5 is one to take a look at. It breaks down the income by genre, so you can see the breakdowns for jazz and rock/pop (which put together add up to only 11.7% of all survey respondents, but probably most of the people on this forum).
  7. pklima

pklima

Finished going through the paper. It's worth reading the whole thing. It turns out that rock and pop are a lot more than 11.7%- rock/alt rock is 7.2% and pop 4.5%, but then there are dozens of other categories like indie at 2.2%, country at 1.8%, funk at 0.4% which all together add up to 44% of the whole. So, that makes a lot more sense.