1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Sustainer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SamaelXV, Mar 21, 2014.

1. SamaelXV

SamaelXV

im new to bass effects, may i ask about sustainers (the one that prolong the bass sound)? does it really function like an active bass pick up? if so, it can be an alternative to active pickups right?

2. spz8

spz8

A "sustainer" is a variant name for a compressor. The sustain is a result of the threshold, ratio, attack and release controls working together. It has nothing to do with pickups, active or otherwise.

3. SamaelXV

SamaelXV

oh.. but can a compressor prolong a bass note? thanks for the reply..

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes it can. Be aware though that more sustain comes with more noise, and more flattened dynamics.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Deep Cat

Deep Cat Supporting Member

Media:
    Fernandes makes a sustainer system for guitars that basically mounts in the place of a guitar pickup. They work by using the pickups in reverse (sending out a magnetic field) to agitate the strings.

It doesn't function like an active pickup, and can't replace them.

7. spz8

spz8

^^^ Read Bongo's compressor FAQs, it will tell you everything you need to know!

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    the mad professor (BJF designed) forest green compressor has a sustain mode that doesn't compress your attack but compresses your signal afterwards which lengthens the sustain of your notes.

9. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+. Yep

10. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Huh? The sustain happens when a compressed signal is expanded (release time, etc). So that doesn't make much sense - unless maybe what they're calling the "sustain mode" is just some sort of time delayed booster? EDIT: Or is it a two stage compressor - for example, like the RNC?

11. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    well, in this pedal it does make sense and the sustain mode works exactly as I described it, and it works great.
    it's not a time delayed booster.

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

They do not make them for bass. There was an extremely limited run of basses released with them in Japan but the only way to actually buy just a bass sustainer was to be a Fernandes artist. Peter Steele bought most of them up.

Sustainiac makes a similar product that I might try one day if I make a Type O bass.

13. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Oh okay, I'm not looking for an argument, its just that I don't know how that's possible and I was hoping you could tell me? If not, that's okay too. Thanks

14. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    AFAIK, it basically lets the original attack pass thru uneffected, and then the compressor kicks in.

here's the schematic:

[​IMG]

15. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Oh Okay - a blend. Thank you very much.

16. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Sounds like it could be just a regular compressor set with a long attack time?

17. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    I don't think so. it has a standard compression mode as well as a sustain mode and the two modes are completely different.

18. boomertech

boomertech Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    +1 Exactly.

Most compressors that have a dry blend will allow the initial signal dynamics and sustain. Just adjust the comp for heavy compression for sustain and mix in some clean (uncompressed) signal.

That works too for notes with enough silence between them. But when there is a constant signal over the threshold, the compression doesn’t get a chance to “reset” and the initial part of the next note envelope is compressed because of the notes before it.

It is blending the dry signal via R5.

-Frank