Suzanne Vega, Solitude Standing

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Oded Ben-Ami, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Oded Ben-Ami

Oded Ben-Ami

Hi all,

It sounds like a fretless bass playing most of the tracks in this album. Does anybody know whether it is an actual bass or just a synth?
    If a bass - who's playing.

Thanks

~ Oded
  2. Petethebassman

Petethebassman

I checked my original LP copy, Michael Visceglia on bass. Great bass work, great album.
  3. rmars

rmars Supporting Member

Michael Visceglia is a brilliat bassist. Absolutely love his work with Vega on the Live At the Stephen Talkhouse album.
  4. Oded Ben-Ami

Oded Ben-Ami

Thank you for the replies.
    Is that a fretless that he uses on Solitude Standing?
    Otherwise, any info on his gear for this album?
  5. rmars

rmars Supporting Member

I just listened to that tune from the official video here-

That slide sounds fretless (he plays a fretted in the video) I've heard some guys slide harmonics on fretted basses and you'd almost swear it was done on a fretless but that sounds fretless to me.

Luka sounds like of like it could be a fretless especially when he plays those 10th- 9th(? I apologize for my horrible theory it's the Gb-F) during those interludes before the chorus. Mike has such great tone in his hands and with a growly Jazz Basses I think I could be fooled into thinking he was playing fretless at times.
  6. rmars

rmars Supporting Member

Okay, here is a version of him playing SS live.

Those slides that I thought sounded fretless sound pretty much the same here and he's playing it on a fretted Lakeland.

Without listening to that whole studio album I'm going to change my answer and say that's a fretted Jazz Bass and the hands of a great player. Like I said I think he could fool me.
  7. Oded Ben-Ami

Oded Ben-Ami

Thank you for the link.
    Yup . . . I have been fooled.
  8. mvbassman

mvbassman

Hi guys..This is Mike Visceglia here...thanks for the props. I played my '62 Jazz bass on that record, no fretless. Sometimes I like to invoke that sound so I can emulate it, but it was J bass all the way. Happy New Year!
  9. rmars

rmars Supporting Member

Hey Mike, I saw a link from the Lakland site a few years ago of you playing Luka with Suzanne and have since become a fan of both of you.

Absolutely love the Live At the Stephen Talkhouse album, your tone just kills me.... I've played J basses since I started played years ago and while they sound good I can't make them sound like you!

I want to take this opportunity to tell you that your playing has been a major inspiration to me. I'm always amazed at the innovative ways you approach the songs.... Thank you so much for all the great music and Happy New Year!
  10. mvbassman

mvbassman

Thank so much...that's a great way to start a new year! Yes, I'm playing a Lakland Joe Osborn now and am loving it! Still have the old 62 J bass though...with flats on it...it kills!! Good luck and keep the low end love going!
  11. vlado

vlado

Hi, Mike! I just wanted to say I'm a big fan of your work and it's great to find you here on TB. Did you also play on Suzanne's first album? That one is really my favorite, especially Freeze Tag...
  12. Oded Ben-Ami

Oded Ben-Ami

Mike,

Thank you for chiming in and thank you for the trail of music that you leave behind. I don't try to sound like you - I just enjoy sitting back and listening to your playing.

Thank you
    Much Happiness and good health for the new year.

~ Oded Ben-Ami
  13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I saw Suzanne Vega live in Ann Arbor right after 'Open Hand' came out. It was a great show & I've always dug not only her music but especially the cool that her backing band displayed.

Good stuff that I still play.