1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

SVT 1540 HE vs. SVT 50 Isovent

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Suntala, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Suntala

Suntala

So I just bought a V4B and I'm looking for a suitable cab to go with it. Preferably I would go for 2 seperate cabs including at least one 15" but unfortunatly I cannot afford this.

Luckily I stumbled across the following two cabs combining my preferences. Both for sale in my area and for a reasonable price.

Ampeg SVT 1540 HE (4x10" + 1x15")
    Ampeg SVT 50 Isovent (2x10" + 2x15" folded horn)

I'm planning on using them with just the V4B so no bi-amping and I know they're both heavyweights. Who has experience with either of these cabs and could tell me something about the match with the V4B?

Any help is much appreciated ;)
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Those are the two worst cabs Ampeg made. No used 410he's or used 810e's in your neighborhood?
  3. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie Supporting Member

Care to elaborate about your bad experience?

I used a 1540 for a gig a couple of times, plenty of loud (with Mesa Bass 400/Ampeg SVT 3 Pro) and nice sounding cab. :bassist:
    No experience with the Isovent cab...

Indoor with Mesa Bass 400 (And Strategy 400 + couple of Mesa 1x15's)

[​IMG]

And outdoor....With Ampeg SVT 3 Pro :)

[​IMG]
  4. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

I owned a 1540HE, and it was terrible (picked it up in a trade).

To me, it just sounded like ass. Could not sell it fast enough.
  5. NecroticImbecil

NecroticImbecil

No experience with the 1540. I like the Isovent. Sounds good. That's the most important quality in a cabinet to me. Heavy though. I know you expect a "heavyweight" but really, surprisingly heavy. It looks a little bigger than a 4X10, so you may be surprised how surprisingly heavy.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Some people like the 1540he. I'm firmly in the "worst Ampeg cab ever" club. Absolutely hated it.
  7. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Go grab a used 810e for like 500-600$. I've even seen heritage 810s as low as 750$ in GCs used section.
  8. CL400Peavey

Both cases are cabs with mixed drivers, and no cross overs. You end up with a miss match in power distribution with the 410 and 115, which is a horrible combination regardless if the speakers are in the same box, or different ones.

Power distribution is miss matched
    Phasing/dispersion conflicts

At least they dont share the same air space like the Mesa Powerhouse 1000/1200.
  9. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    curious as to why you're set on having at least one 15 in the set up. looks like you play in a heavy rock band... the 8x10 is the industry standard.
  10. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Also terrible.............

You MAY think your getting a 2X15, but it only has the output of a single 15.
  11. Suntala

Suntala

Thanks for the useful info!

Read a lot about the 15" blowing up in the 1540HE, probably as a result of the mismatched power distribution. A friend told me he owned a isovent but it got way too undefined if you werent standing directly over the 10's.

I might go with two separate cabs afterall. Probably go for a 410 HE (though used ones only seem to be able to handle 200w) and hold off the 15" for a while (or go with the 410HLF which seems to have enough lowend on its own).

As for why I'm not going with a 810

1. 410 should be loud enough for a while (is there much difference in tone?)
    2. I can't afford a new car ;)
  12. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

SVT-410HE and SVT-410HLF are vastly different designs. Looks aside, they have very little in common. HE is 8 Ohms, thick/rich in the mids, rolled off in the lows, sound much better in a mix than alone. It is not so sensitive to different amp voicings, IMHO.
    The 4 Ohm HLF has big lows, slightly scooped mids, can be harder to make work in a dense mix and since it has wider frequency range, it will also "reveal" more of the amp's voicing. It also needs plenty of amp driving it to get really loud.

I like both but prefer HLF.
  13. CL400Peavey

Which ever cab you go with, the best cab to pair with it is a matching cab.