SVT-210AV x 4? (full stack)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by vistacruiser, Feb 18, 2013.

1. vistacruiser

vistacruiser

I'm reading that a lot of players use the mini 210 cabs and some use pairs of them which makes sense. An ultra portable 4-10, 4 ohm set sounds very appealing. :)

So I need to ask if any one is stacking four of them to equal 8 ten's? Is it practical? The portability is there. And an SVT tube head should drive them as two 4 ohm loads.

I have a V4BH and a 70's SVT head, two svt15e's, and a 610hlf. I'd like to replace the hlf cab with some infinite baffle 10's and these mini 210 cabs would seem pretty versatile compared to an 810e or 410he's.

If not four of 'em, may be just two, alone or paired with the 15's for the SVT.
    And any combination that equals 4 or 8 ohms for the V4BH.

I'd like to hear what you liked or didn't like about running multiples of svt-210av's, or combining them with 15's.

2. vistacruiser

vistacruiser

Found all I need in a 210av mega-thread. (searched)

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I was going to say that Figjam is running that rig and loves it. Me, I'll stick with two and use the 810e when I want an 810 rig.

4. vistacruiser

vistacruiser

Jimmy have you paired them with 15's at all? I have some svt15e's, and wonder how they complement each other.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I have not because I don't believe in doing that. I'd much rather stack two like cabs and have always been disappointed in some way when mixing cabs. Sometimes it's phasing issues, sometimes it's boxy sound, sometimes it's the same EQ behaving differently with different cabs and not in a good way. If you're looking for a bigger low end than the 210av's, I'd recommend getting two like cabs or one big one with bigger low end. Two 15e's would work.

7. vistacruiser

vistacruiser

I see...I do generally use the two 15's with the V4BH. They'd probably work with the SVT but I've not tried it. I did try the 610hlf with the V4BH and it sounded good with a Jazz but crap for a P bass. I'm thinking it's just the wrong cab.

8. vistacruiser

vistacruiser

Or may be it's the strings....I've been playing with the V4BH/610hlf/P Bass combination for a bit and now I think I can get a real nice sound with ROUND's, but with FLAT's I still think the 15's are the shizzle. As to the SVT with a pair of svt15e's, the SVT head can definitely push them, they are rated 200 watts each and I would like to stay well clear of that spec.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    You don't have to turn up the SVT to where the cabs will blow. Besides, that's real world 200w, which is fartout volume and not where the voice coil will break, so an SVT should be able to be cranked cleanly using two 15e's. Would watch it if you're turning up to get power tube distortion, though.

10. vistacruiser

vistacruiser

Thanks, that's good to know Jimmy. These days my SVT is saved for the outdoor stages and that's where I tend to push it a bit. The last time I did, I ran both of the 15e's and the 610hlf together. That worked so well that I now understand about the sound pressure warnings they put on cabs. Felt like I was under water for a day or two after. May be next time some ear plugs. :) But they could hear me clearly all the way out to the concessions, about 200 ft away, without PA support. OK, may be a little dirt, but still they could hear it.
    But back to the topic, a pair of portable svt210av's makes sense in a lot of ways.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Not if you're cranking SVT's!!!