1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

SVT 3 Pro best tube sound?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by krkozbassman, Dec 7, 2012.

1. krkozbassman

krkozbassman

Which is it best for that "tube" sound:

1) Master set full and adjust input Gain to desired volume level.

OR

2) Input Gain set to light up Peak LED 75% of the time and Master set to desired volume level.

Both situations leaving the Tube Gain (Plate voltage) full CCW or left or off...

Thanks!
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Supporting Member

"Tube sound" is vague for a number of reasons, but mostly because it depends on how *you* define it: a little bit of overdrive, a lot of overdrive? Some bassists don't want any overdrive, they just want harmonic richness.

So, just tweak the knobs (Gain, Master, Drive, Tube Gain, and don't forget the Pad switch) to whatever sounds best for you! If you like overdrive, then don't worry about the clip light: it's not a danger indicator. I got great overdrive sounds from my 3Pro by turning up gain so that the clip light was flashing almost constantly. In fact the clip light would often flash for some of my cleaner tones.

And the "Tube Gain" control is just another parameter. Don't feel like you *must* have it fully CCW to maximize tube tone.

Bottom line, let your ears decide, not your eyes. Again, just turn the knobs until you're happy.

P.S. One thing you might want to worry about is the graphic EQ. It's solid state and sounds like utter crap (IMO) when clipped. I always bypassed the graphic EQ completely.
  3. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

I run my SVT3 Pro with the tube gain (plate voltage) maxed out (fully clockwise) and the input gain set like your example 2 to get what I consider the "tubiest" (read:best) sound to my ear.
  4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

If the 3Pro is designed at all like the 6Pro, (which I think it is, but someone more knowledgable could confirm), the "tube gain" knob is tubiest as the op has it set, fully CCW, or off. The 6Pro was labeled in percentages, and when fully CW, or on, it ran the voltage higher, and thus cleaner. As you back off, voltage goes down, and iot gets "tubier".
  5. krkozbassman

krkozbassman

I know it's really all up to my ears, but I am a technician turned engineer and I want to get the most out of my amp. Also, I swear my ears change constantly cuz 1 month something sounds great and the next like crap. So my point is that I want the "tech-iest" answer to fall back on when I'm not trusting my ears.

If you go with #1 you are pushing the driver tubes harder but with a weaker maybe not so tubey input to them and if you go with #2 you are pushing the input tube, but not the driver tubes (where the tube gain knob comes in) so this is where I'm comin from...