1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

SVT 3 pro setup

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Firmcore101, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Firmcore101

Firmcore101

I've got an SVT 3 pro head with the hlf410 cab. What's the best type of settings that others have found to work well with it? (all the wonderful knobs!) preferably people who play in the hard rock/hardcore genre. :bassist:

2. Tash

Tash

You should probably put this in the Amps forum, this one is usually for setting up basses.

3. freeslicefattyj

freeslicefattyj

I've had a 3 for about 4 months or so and it took me forever to get something that I liked, and now I love it. What I do now is set the bass all the way up and the treble down on my usa jazz deluxe, then try to keep the settings on the amp about even. I think I tweaked it so the bass is slightly up as well as the mids. Then use the eq and instead of boosting everything try filtering out what you don't want to be as loud. If you mess with it enough you'll find what you want. Really it's all just futzing with the thing til you find something you like. It's also important to mess with it while your band is playing to make sure your sound is cutting through well. I think I also have the bright button pushed in to give the high's that extra punch.

4. Robman

Robman

It really depends on the tone you're going for. I set my SVT-3 Pro according to what type of gig I'm playing. I mostly shoot for the big, fat clean tone. But every now and then, I go for a gritty overdriven sound. I play in several tribute acts, so I try to get everything dialed-in to sound as close to the original player's sound as possible, which can be a chore at times.

When I play with my regular band, I try to set it clean, but when I dig in, I like to hear a little grit.

Do you have the user's manual. If not, DL it from Ampeg's website. There are some examples that make great starting points for whatever tone you're going for.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

I suggest familiarizing yourself with the controls one at a time. Start with the graphic EQ switched out (and also set the sliders at zero for when you start tweaking it). Set all rotary tone controls at zero. Disengage all contour switches (so that they're pressed out, not in). There, you now have a reasonably flat sound of your bass.

Now, tweak each control one by one. Try boosting and cutting. This is especially important with variable midrange and graphic EQ sliders. Again, tweak the knobs one by one, so you can hear the "voice" of each control. Then set it back to flat before moving to the next.

Once you get reasonably familiar with the individual controls, you can try to tweak multiple controls at once.

Keep in mind that too much tweaking can result in uneven response from your bass. For instance, in the past I went for a clear piano-like tone on the low register of my bass, usually by scooping the midrange. But I was often frustrated by the fact that notes in the high register would then become very thin and weak. The unevenness can be more subtle... for example, notes in a section of a particular string might become too soft or too loud. Sometimes you don't notice until you're rehearsing or gigging.

Maybe you know all that stuff already, but I thought I'd post it simply because, as you said, the 3Pro has lots and lots of knobs, and it's easy to get carried away! I know: I used to own a 3Pro amp, and still own an Ampeg SVP-Pro (the preamp-only version). Have fun! :)

7. Firmcore101

Firmcore101

Thanks for the input everyone, although i am an experienced player it sure helps to have input on equipment that is somewhat unfamiliar. Kudos!

8. Fuzzbass

Oh, here are a couple of tips that some SVT3Pro users aren't aware of:

First, the Tube Gain control is counter-intuitive. That is: when you turn Tube Gain down (rotate the knob counterclockwise), the response becomes softer and somewhat more distorted. When you turn it *up* (clockwise), your tone becomes cleaner.

Second, it's OK to run "in the red": that is, when the clip light is full on. I got some warm distorted sounds from my 3Pro by turning Tube Gain down and boosting the main Gain up until the red light was on all of the time. At least one user here runs his 3Pro in the red all the time, but I don't use much distortion so I always kept mine clean... for an Ampeg, that is. :p

9. ni714

ni714 Guest

I was so happy when I read this cause I had been wondering about both these exact things.
    I bought my III pro used and thus no owner's manual. Also I tried the amp at the guys house before I bought it and it was VERY overdriven however I have not been able to make it overdrive. but thats is because i wouldn't let it go red all the time. Thanks for sharing your info. :bassist:

10. Band Dad

Band Dad

11. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    None - but willing to discuss!
    This is the thread I've been looking for!!! Thanks!

Anyone running there's with a 410 and want to post pix of their knob configuration? I have a 410HLF I run it with...

12. WCHIII

WCHIII

Just got a new 3pro...thanks for this thread...

13. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

I ran that exact setup for a while. I usually kill the graphic eq and just run the eq knobs instead. As said before, ignore the clip light. I used the gain knob to adjust for differences between basses, running mostly in the red. I like a bump in the mids in position 3 but you may not. I personally don't like the low switch in, as it is a bass boost and mid scoop. The bright switch is just a treble boost that you may like if you want pick noise. The tube gain knob is really most effective cracked fully left for a more rubbery tone with some saturation or fully right for a cleaner tone. Some people use the gain slider on the eq to eek out a few more db's but I'm not sold on that method. I think it has plenty of power on its own.

14. Lo-E

Lo-E

I've been running mine for almost 20 years, and this really sums it up. Just as Fuzzbass said, run it in the red and adjust to your desired "squishiness" with the tube gain. In all these years I have almost never used the graphic EQ - only once or twice to compensate for old, beat-up house backline cabs. I usually run the tone almost flat... maybe just a little mid tweak here or there to adjust for the room.

Great head. Enjoy!

15. Fuzzbass

Same here!

In case it wasn't mentioned above: the 3Pro's graphic EQ is solid state, and unlike the tube sections it sounds awful when clipped. So, it should be used with caution -- not too much boosting.

16. Fuzzbass

Agreed! I mentioned the danger just above. Nice post, btw.

17. NKBassman

NKBassman Nerd Supporting Member

I've had mine 10 years.

I run the gain so that the red light it lit up almost constantly while playing. Lately I've had the knob at around 3:00.

I find the bass knob needs a bit of a bump to get the bottom end where I like it.

Mids depends on the band situation you find yourself in. Lately I've been cutting slightly in Pos. 3 to help make room in the mix for the guitars.

Treble I run usually around 1:00-2:00, but again, this is a matter of taste and also depends a lot on your cab.

I never use the Ultra switches, but occastionally will engage the Bright button when my strings start to lose their zing.

Tube gain is almost always all the way clockwise for me. Sounds best for my needs.

FYI, I made almost this exact post here a few days ago. There's lots of 3PRO threads out there if you search for them.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/ampeg-svt-3-pro-whats-deal-872394/index2.html