1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

svt 4-pro with Carvin cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by cagipple, Nov 26, 2013.

1. cagipple

cagipple

I just purchased a used svt-4 pro and I'm wondering if my set up is going to work well. There seems to be many different ways to hook up cabs to this amp and this is all very new to me.

I want to hook it up to Carvin 4x10 8ohm cab.

What is the best way to accomplish this that will give me the most amount of wattage with out blowing anything out?
  2. Major Softie

Major Softie

Mono-bridged gives you 900w. If this is the modern Carvin, it's rated at 800w. Sounds perfect. Don't turn everything all the way up, just listen for any issues, and you should be able to get everything that cab has to give.
  3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I would not try pushing more that 400 watts at that cab, but we'll be here to answer the "What's wrong" afterwards.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Good luck getting 800w into any 410 without making it explode.
  5. cagipple

cagipple

So it is not recommended to run the svt 4 pro with a 410?
  6. B-string

Not bridged. Run it from one amp side, if you bridge to get all those cab burning watts be VERY careful. That is a Carvin cab you mentioned and they are not well known for strictly "honest" ratings.
  7. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

I used to run an SVT 4-Pro into a Carvin 10.4Neo. The thought of getting anywhere near what the amp could output/cab could take never crossed my mind, as I would likely be deaf and bleeding from the ears.

Personally, I always took a single amp out into the cab so that I could drive that one more than having to back off a bridged output. But even that one amp was more than I ever needed.

Just out of curiosity, where are you playing where you may need 900W?
  8. cagipple

cagipple

I never said I needed 900W, I justed wanted to know the optimal way to set up my rig.
  9. B-string

The bridged will give the most wattage and will not "blow anything" if you can keep it tightly controlled and don't use a hard pluck/pick technique or slap.
    The safest way and likely all you will need is from one amp side only.

So "optimal" is for you to choose.
  10. cagipple

cagipple

Thank you B-String. I have decided to use one power amp.

Next question, I do not have a speakon cable at the moment. Can this be done with a regular 1/4 speaker cable?
  11. B-string

Yes not a problem when running the two amps separately. A speakon end is REALLY easy to install on an existing 1/4" cable though, no soldering, just a screwdriver and $3 to $5 bucks each. The advantage is they are secure, fully insulated and no chance of a half pulled out cable damaging your amp.
  12. Waynebass

Waynebass

you also need a special mono bridge cable
  13. B-string

14. Waynebass

Waynebass

the mono bridge cable is not a standard speakon,one end is wired different,youtube has a lot of videos showing you how to make a ampeg mono bridge cable
  15. jeffkew

jeffkew Bass Curious Supporting Member

I have an svt 4 pro, and I run it mono bridged with an SWR Goliath III 410 with no problem. I prefer the punch I get from the amp used this way. In order to damage the speakers, you'd really need to turn it up ridiculously loud.
  16. Waynebass

Waynebass

i ran a 4 pro bridged into a 600 aguilar gs 212 for years with no problems,just watch your volume and how you eq,that 8 ohm 410 will work just fine