1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

SVT 7 and fender combo amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by klemen, Mar 22, 2014.

1. klemen

klemen

ok, so I am currently running an SVT 7 pro through a 410 hlf cab.

The 7 is rated 1000w at 4 ohms, but the cab is only rated 500w at 4 ohms. I have been running the amp at pretty much full volume with no problem except a bit of a boomy distorted sound Could this potentially do any damage to the speakers?

I also have a fender 1x15 100 watt combo amp and was wondering if I could run the amp through this speaker as well as my 410 without going through the power section of the combo amp. Obviously will be at a much lower volume.

Thanks

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Obviously at a much lower volume. Yes, it can be done, but not without jury rigging a speaker cable to go to your speaker. And the big problem will be how to hook it up every time you want to use it. Not worth the effort whatsoever as far as I'm concerned. Enjoy your combo for what it is or sell it and get something else. And to be honest, the way you're jacking up your Ampeg rig, I think you'll blow the speaker in your Rumble in short order.

That boomy distorted sound is your cab going into what's known as the "xmech" of your speakers. There are two terms referring to voice coil movement..."xmax," which is normal cone movement without distortion, and "xmech," which is cone movement with distortion. After that gets used up, it's blammo time for your speakers. It's possible to get into the xmech without blowing up your speakers, but it's not a good idea because one false move can take them out. And even if you don't take them out, the voice coil gets hot in them and can wear out prematurely. Now the 410hlf speakers can take more than most 410 speakers because they're designed to have extra xmax and xmech, but they can only take so much, and clearly you're right on the bubble. If I were you, I'd either dial it back a notch or get an 810.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 if the 410hlf is not giving you the volume you need, then ditch it for a larger cab, 610 or 810. Can't run the 7Pro below 4 ohms, so no way to "add on" any more spkrs with the hlf.

4. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

As usual, Jimmy is right on the money. Moreover, a 610 will give you no noticeable additional volume, but an 810 will give you approximately 6dB (which is a fair amount) more. Better yet, the current 810s can all handle 1,000 watts, so you probably won't fry them with the -7PRO.

5. Register to disable this ad