SVT 7 Pro turned off

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by volerium, Dec 6, 2013.

1. volerium

volerium

Playing today and the amp would turn itself off... anyone else experience this? And if so is that a sign that it's dying or is there something I can do to remedy it?

Jammed for about an hour, some compression, gain at noon, volume was about 2 o clock. Pretty loud and a warm distortion to it, sounded great but then it would just cut out so I'd wait a bit and it would come back on. The power never actually turned off the sound just cut out. So I dialed the volume back to noon and it was better except for when I kicked on my swollen pickle pedal. That would immediately make the sound cut out again. I know that pedal is a big booming sounding fuzz but not sure why it would make the amp cut out.

Any troubleshooting would be great.
    Thanks in advance
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

That is A LOT of power, sure you are not damaging the speaker cab causing the amp to self-protect? I don't remember off hand 7-Pros cutting out, letting out magic smoke yes but even those reports have dropped off.
  3. vin*tone

vin*tone

How old is it? It's (was??) a common problem with that model.

If it's still under warranty contact Ampeg and let them know. They'll fix you up. Good luck man.
  4. volerium

volerium

Bought in June of 2011 from musiciansfriend.com AND I was thinking that I had purchased one of those extended three year warranties from them but no, that was for my newest bass. Damn it!
  5. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

6. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Just for the sake of myself and others, what is the revision number?
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    With amps that have a tube, I always recommend checking the tube first. If not, call Ampeg. It may not be under warranty but they should be able to square you away for a reasonable cost.
  8. volerium

volerium

revision number C00. I'll be talking to musiciansfriend and ampeg both and update if anything comes of it. I bought it from musiciansfriend as a restock so..... I don't think the 5 year warranty applies to it unfortunately. But fingers crossed anyways. Thanks!
  9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Go direct to Ampeg with your original receipt. A warranty is a warranty.
  10. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

The ones I have seen (and nearly bought) from both the big online retailers as well as ebay show the re-stock as a 30 day warranty.

The delay from when you turn the power switch on and to when the green light comes on is an eternity.
    Great sounding amp but you need to keep a spare in the trunk.