1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

SVT-810..NV610.. Hartke Ak 410 next?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by whatisacup, Dec 30, 2013.

1. whatisacup

whatisacup

I've been happily gigging my SVT 810 and my NV 610's for a while now. Other cabs have come and gone, but these two are never going....

I do find myself in need of a smaller cab, for the smaller gigs. The Ampeg 410 HE seems to fit the bill for my small cab needs, but it's just too heavy. I find my berg easier to transport than the HE.

My current budget is less than $650 shipped, obviously looking used.

I was looking at the Hartke AK 410. 65 pounds, sealed and seems like a good deal. I've seen some reviews with mixed results.

With some tweaking, could I get close to the Ampeg or Berg? If not, could someone recommend something in my price range?
  2. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I keep hearing good things about the SVT210AV and the new SVT212AV cabs.

Maybe 2 of the 210s? Or maybe even just one?
  3. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

ps. I have an SVT810, an NV610, and Aguilar GS410, GS210, and GS115. If a gig is too small for the 610, I would definitely just roll with the 210 or 115. Or my B-15R. Or, even my Promethean P5110 (1x10) combo. I played a small bar gig with the 1x10 combo and it was way more than enough. I didn't even turn it up halfway.

My GS410 is actually for sale. A good 210 is, for me, anyway, PLENTY for any gig where the 610 is just too big.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Supporting Member

Like you, I adore the 8x10/NV610 tone. My mini/modular NV610 is one or two Bergantino HS210 cabs with the tweeters rolled back 6dB or whatever. Even though they are ported and tweetered, they have fabulous punchy tone. Sadly, they have been out of production for years now.

Try a Bag End S15D if you can find one. Yeah, it's a fifteen... but it's surprisingly quick and punchy.
  5. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

The Baggie S15D is certainly an option and is quicker than any 15" cab I have had ... but since you like the Ampeg (and sealed 10's), I would say the 210AV's might be right up your alley, and more available used than a Baggie ... if thinking 210AV's, consider two of them .. the difference between using one vs. a second is substantial ... at any volume, and the weight is still less than a 410 and the footprint is 1/2 ... that way you would be ultimately modular, with a 210/410/610/810 ....JMHO
  6. punkrocko

punkrocko Supporting Member

I gigged with an AK410 for a while. It’s a good cab, and does the sealed 10’s thing well. However, I agree with the 2-10 cab suggestions. A nice 2-10 will fit your budget and would fill out your arsenal for the gigs when the big cabs are too much.
    On a separate and side note: If I were looking for a compact light-weight 410 that sounded like a fridge, I would find a used Berg AE410.
  7. thefunkgorilla

thefunkgorilla Supporting Member

I'm having a lot of luck with a 1212L Schroeder. I bought it this summer and added some solid 3 inch wheels so it rolls like a champ. Not too bulky, 43 lbs, stairs are a breeze. Plenty loud and great sound. I also use a sealed 810(Ampeg) and the Schroeder is a great smaller gig alternative. I also have a 210 Genz Benz shuttle that sounds great, but it weighs 40 lbs, is just as bulky as the Schroeder, and doesn't have nearly the volume or cut that the Schroeder does.
    Many folks on here don't like the Schroeder tone. I use mine with an Ampeg SVP Pro Preamp and engage the Ultra low switch, The boosts the 40 hz freq and cuts the low mids, 500 hz I think, not sure. Anyhow, I have found that this EQ setting brings the Schroeder alive. I also have a high pass filter set at 40 hz with a 48 db per octave roll off and the result is a tube-like punchy sound. The lowest frequencies(also known as MUD) are removed and I can hit the cab with a lot of power and really get the Low E, around 42 hz and the first harmonic of the low B, around 62 hz, to speak clearly. My ears and feedback from the guitarists and drummers I work with are my guide. Don't mean to hijack the thread, this is just my real world light weight option to a 165 lb fridge.
    I think there is a 1212L on here for sale now for 550 shipped. My never ending gas says buy it and have 2, but my cab is an 8 ohm, the one for sale is a 4, so ohms is an issue.