SVT CL Cab Options

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by callofcthulhu, Nov 23, 2012.

1. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Hi, first thread on the TB but longtime lurker.

So I've recently come into a used Ampeg SVT CL and 410 HE cab on the cheaps. They were sold to me as a pair and the guy said he had been using them as a pair since 2001. I love the tone I'm getting out of this setup, however, I'd like to correct the impedance mismatch (amp is 4 ohms and cab is 8 ohms), but I'm not sure of the best way to go about it.

I looked at a 410 HLF but the extra girth in the back prevented it from fitting into my compact car -- myself and another spent a good 20 minutes trying to jigger it in fruitlessly.

Here are the options I'm considering. Opinions?

1) Get a 210 AV to stick on top. Arguably the simplest solution (8 ohms + 8 ohms = 4 ohms) but I'm unsure how it will sound and whether or not I'll be able to fit it in next to the 410.

2) Sell the 410 HE and get 2 210 AVs. Would the sound and volume be comparable? I like the idea of having a modular rig since I know I'll be able to transport it.

3) Other cabs. Here is where I just start getting overwhelmed. I've never bought a cab before. I need something the same dimensions as the 410 HE and as close as possible to to its tone (growly but deep), so I'm thinking something 4x10 and sealed, but I need it in the $500 range ($700 is the absolute highest I can go). Used or new, I don't care, but I need something quick because I'm in several bands with fairly consistent gigging schedules.

For context my projects all fall into some variation of psychelic/stoner/prog kind of stuff, though I'll be branching out into metal in the near future as well.

Hoping for some good replies cause I've just been running in circles in my head for some time now.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have often run my 69 SVT with two 210av's. The 210av's are medium duty cabs so they won't go as loud as a 410he, but the sound is right on target with the 410he, although I find they benefit from a slight bass boost compared to the 410he. I wouldn't use a single 210av with a 410he because the 410he will be much louder and will cause a volume imbalance.

You could also check out the PF210he's as well. They're a little more expensive and a little bigger than the 210av's, but they have a great sound and take more punishment. But if you can live with the volume limitations of the 210av's, that's a great way to go IMHO.
  3. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Can you define "volume limitations" a little more precisely?

I had a chance to play the CL/HE rig at a 500 person club the other night. I run active pickups at full volume into the unpadded channel at full gain for maximum tube dirt and the FOH sound guy said I should turn down when I set the master above 2 (9 o'clock).

Do you think that had I been using 2x 210AVs in that scenario they wouldn't have been up to the job?

Also, what are your thoughts on just running one 210AV on top of the 410HE?
  4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

There's only so much racket you can keep with using 2 2x10. If you are the sane stoner doom metallers with PA support then you're ok. Otherwise you're stuffed trying to play with Marshall stacks wound up.

What's the story with your levels and PA support? It sounds like you have it under control if you're happy dialing back to 9 o'clock.

Running 8 ohm hard is not an option.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Wish I could remember how loud that is, but it's been quite a while since I used an SVT-CL with that setting. I'm tempted to think two 210av's could take it, but just not sure.

From my previous post...

I wouldn't use a single 210av with a 410he because the 410he will be much louder and will cause a volume imbalance.
  7. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

2x10 is going to hit distortion way before the 4x10 in other words.
  8. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Well, God willing, there will be more gigs the size of the one I mentioned. I've played in larger spaces as well, but we're also still getting booked at bars with only vocals over the PA. The eluded to metal project would be starting fresh as well, so smaller clubs with questionable sound to be sure.
    I wouldn't be in danger of damaging the little guys would I? They're rated at 200 watts and would only be seeing 150, right?
    Sorry, don't know how I missed that the first time. Just out of curiosity would you not pair a 1x15E with the 410HE either, for similar reasons?

Sorry for all the questions, like I said I'm new to the whole separate amp/cab thing.
  9. BadB

BadB

You could also add an 8 ohm wedge to correct the impedance mismatch, and I am sure you can find plenty of uses for it, such as a side fill, etc.
  10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

No, 410/115 is a bad pair, for similar reasons. And, you really want that amp connected to either a 2 or 4 ohm load anyway.
  11. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Can you recommend a monitor for this purpose? Would I need something that can handle the full 300watts of the Classic or would 150 RMS be sufficient since it's being split?
    So, to the topic, what are your thoughts on my options, given that the default Ampeg "solution" (the 410 HLF) didn't work out?
  12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

A 4 ohm cab cannot be re-wired to 8 ohms, and vice-versa. It doesn't add up either way. The solution is to find a 4 ohm cab that you like, and use that.
  13. Bmorefoozler

Bmorefoozler

SWR offers a 4 ohm sealed 4x10. It's called the marcus Miller Golight. A used one could be in your price range. It is worth trying out if you can find one.
  14. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Had practice today and found an 8 ohm monitor in the pile of questionable gear the drummer has in his basement so I stuck it in the second speaker out on the head. Didn't hear any noticeable difference in terms of power/quality coming out of the 410HE with my aforementioned settings (Gain to 10 and Master at 2) and the wedge didn't sound too bad (no farting/breaking up) even though its only rated for 80 watts RMS. I guess this will do until I find a suitable replacement cab.

No promising listings on ebay or craigslist for my needs at the moment. I guess my price range puts me in an awkward gap as 4 ohm 410s seem to fall into one of two camps: under $500 and mostly crap and nice cabs that are $800 and over. Nothing really in between as far as I have found...
  15. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Wrong. Maths relies on accurate data and assumptions. Your SVT can do a number on them if you don't listen.
  16. iiipopes

iiipopes

When I had my SVT head twenty years ago, I ran it through a Peavy 2X15 cab loaded with Carvin drivers. It rocked.
  17. ShrewTamer

ShrewTamer

I don't really now anything specifically about the 410HE but if the speakers in it are 8 or 2 ohm speakers you could rewire it to 2 ohms. How easy is it to pop a 410HE open?
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    The speakers are the same as what's in the 810e...32 ohms.
  19. spacebassed

spacebassed

just get an 810...

...and a bigger car. :bag:
  20. anderbass

anderbass

calo, your SVT is rated @ 300 watt clean, but It could easily peak at over 500 watt when cranked up.

SWR used to make an 8-ohm wedge-type bass guitar cab called the 'Bass monitor-12. They're rated 250 watt @8 ohm, and can be found selling in the $100-$200 price range.
    I've got a feeling you'll end up blowing the driver in your 80-watt monitor, but there's lots of other high quality, 8-ohm vocal monitors that might work out good for this situation too, although you might find they'd sound better with their tweeters turned off/disconnected.

Or, you'd find the 4-ohm Bergantino NV610 was designed for guys in your exact situation. It's a sealed cab made to sound fairly similar to your 410HE, and the Ampeg fridge. This cab is only 2ft-wide x 4ft-tall x 15-inches deep, so they'll easily fit into most any car. They weigh under 100lbs, have a tilt-back handle/wheels (like a fridge) and are loud enough to cover most any gig without PA support. Nice/used ones can be found in your price range. They work extremely well with tube powered SVT's, you'll find that lots of guys here on this forum (including me) have very successfully gigged this combonation for years and years...
  21. Rock-Bassman

Rock-Bassman

*starts chanting* eight-by-ten eight-by-ten eight-by-ten eight-by-ten eight-by-ten :bassist: