SVT-CL: Took The Plunge. Then a VR pops up.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ultra60, Dec 30, 2013.

1. ultra60

ultra60 Supporting Member

A USA SVT-CL popped up at a price I could not walk away from. I've got a couple of 3 PRO's, and will end up selling one. The 3 PRO will be utilized on the days that I don't feel like lugging around 85 pounds. I'm not getting any younger, but I've joined a new band, and its 1979 again.... Marshall Stack, SVT. Got to have the look, you know.

But here's the funny part. A USA VR just popped up locally at a decent price. So now I wonder... go for the VR, or be happy with the CL?

The CL matches my 15" cabs. But that VR is calling my name.

Other than looks, would there be that much of a tonal difference between the two?

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    If you dime the master on the CL and use the gain to controll the volume, they will be very very very similar.

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

The VR (vintage reissue) is the real thing, based on the original SVT. The CL is nice but not quite the same. They are both good.

They share the same power amp, the difference lies in the preamp. There is more tonal variation in the VR. Ask yourself if you need the tonal variation. It can also be chained to the second channel.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Love both the CL and VR, would be deliriously happy with either (I have a Heritage CL I wouldn't trade for the world), and they sound basically the same once you do the master and gain like CL400 says. I can't tell the difference between my CL and my 69 SVT when they're set the same. The VR does look cooler than the regular CL, and I'm totally down with that, but then you'll probably want to get new grills for your 15 cabs.

Flip a coin ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Agreed; they are both great amps

7. ultra60

ultra60 Supporting Member

Thanks for the info. Love the look of the older SVT's as well. I'll know in about a week, if the VR deal would even work out. By that time I may have lost interest... but I'm an impulsive kind of guy, and if the deal works out, I may own both!

8. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

They are a blue chip stock in that they always retain value.
    Assuming you get a decent deal it might not cost you anything other than shipping if you decide to off one.