SVT-CL vs SVT 4 Pro

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by cosmicpimp2, Jan 12, 2012.

1. cosmicpimp2

cosmicpimp2

I have the CL and I'm sick of it. Breaks down, weighs a lot, just a pain. I like the 4 pro and was wondering what everyone else thinks about it that has one? I haven't looked at gear in awhile so I'm kinda outta the loop of whats out there.

2. Alex1984

Alex1984

If you're looking at the Pro series, why not consider the 7 Pro?

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

If your looking at Viet Nam Ampeg, I'd recommend checking out a different brand. I still use my USA CL but I'll never buy another Viet Nam Ampeg again, I had an SVT-6 give weird issues after a week and I had a BA 210 that screwed up after 6 months and spent the next 3 in the shop before I told them they had to give me money back for this lump.

If the 6 was working good it was super versatile though, you could get nice cleans (something the CL can't do) and awesome growl. Didn't try the 4 and I don't think they make the 6 anymore.

My two cents.

4. bassguy72

bassguy72

Jimmy M where u at?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cosmicpimp2

cosmicpimp2

Yea I have the Vietnam junker. Last time I was looking at amps I don't think the 7 pro was out. I like the 2 pro but not the weight. I like that the 4 pro has 3 preamp tubes and won't kill me on weight. I've never owned a newer none tube amp.

7. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Sorry to hear you're having problems with your CL, I didn't realize the Vietnam made CL was that sketchy compared to the US made. I'd also suggest the 7 Pro it's getting solid reviews here.

8. cosmicpimp2

cosmicpimp2

I wish I had my Mesa 400 still. That was awesome but blew up

9. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    If you're interested in looking outside Ampeg take a look at the Genz-Benz Streamliner head.

10. jackcheez

jackcheez

What else matters ? :)

11. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Or the G-K Fusion 550, the MB Fusion for a light weight version of a three tube preamp.

The Nampegs that were good are that GOOD, if they were bad they are very bad (from I have gleaned here and elsewhere).

12. cosmicpimp2

cosmicpimp2

I just don't know how they hold up. My CL sounds pretty awesome when its working.

Oh and I hate the really light amps cause they move around too much. I tried a little mark II and didn't like it at all. If someone made a tube amp that was solid and under 70lbs that be great.

13. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

All tube? Traynor and others. Tube pre and SS output the G-K Fusion 550 comes to mind again (28lbs).

14. cosmicpimp2

cosmicpimp2

Anyone hear good things about the mesa 750? I'd like to go hybrid if I can find the right sound. the G-K and Genz will be on my list to look at. reliablity is big on my list too

15. deaf pea

deaf pea

Disclosures:
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    I get a lot of Ampeg SVT-4PRO amps back-lined when we're on tour in the USA and the 3 tube preamp really sucks . . . and that's why I lug around an Ampeg SVP-PRO to help out the sound of the Ampeg SVT-4PRO . . . :cool: . . .

16. rodl2005

rodl2005

The 7 pro is awesome. Not too light weight either. Sounds as close to a SVT as you'll get in a hybrid.
    Streamliner didn't work for me-too un-defined in a band setting.
    Traynor YBA300 is around 55lbs iirc & supposed to be lovely.
    I'd go the Traynor or Ampeg 7 pro over the 4 pro.
    The 4 pro sounded less tube like to me than the 7 pro. & the YBA300 is all tube.

17. suraci

suraci

Guys I just returned the Streamliner... my SVT CL sounded BRIGHTER hello. I just liked it quite a bit more.

Is the SVT7 pro as bright ( at least as bright ) as the SVT CL?
    These tube hybrids seem to be cloudy in the mids.

I want an alternative to the SVT CL ( I will KEEP the SVT CL ) but it cannot be darker than the SVT !!! I want brighter not darker.
    I am trying MB LM2 now.

18. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    I had an SVT-CL for about 6 months all the while I owned an SVT-4 Pro. Too me the 4 Pro was and still is a better gigging amp. Rack mount, half the weight and 95% the same sound. I can't wait for a few select posters to chime in here, but I've actually owned and gigged them both A LOT (over 1,000 gigs). I will say the Ampeg 7 Pro sounds terrific. Sad to say I've had to return 5 of them due to shutting down at the gig. They do come back up in a second or so, but that won't work for me. Most guys have had no such problems.

[​IMG]

19. suraci

suraci

Incognito. Might you compare tones of SVT CL svt7 pro etc?

20. bassguy72

bassguy72

Ncognito is right .....the 7pro sounds freakin great.....if u don't want the weight or the hassle it is the one to go with

21. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    The Svt 7 Pro is buttery smooth and can do it all. It's the first switching amp that REALLY worked for me at the gig. I used a '74 SVT 7 nights a week for about 3 years back in the day when clubs had entertainment 7 nights a week. I say that only to make the point that I'm pretty experienced with "tube" tone. If you're an "SVT" guy, the 7 Pro will get you to Ampeg-land. Is it a 90 pound lead sled of tubey-goodness? Nope. Is it a very convincing faux SVT? Yes. At 15 pounds there ain't nothing out there that will get you in the SVT zip code like the SVT 7 Pro.