1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

SVT-CL vs SVT 4 Pro

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by cosmicpimp2, Jan 12, 2012.

1. cosmicpimp2

cosmicpimp2

I have the CL and I'm sick of it. Breaks down, weighs a lot, just a pain. I like the 4 pro and was wondering what everyone else thinks about it that has one? I haven't looked at gear in awhile so I'm kinda outta the loop of whats out there.
  2. Alex1984

Alex1984

If you're looking at the Pro series, why not consider the 7 Pro?
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

If your looking at Viet Nam Ampeg, I'd recommend checking out a different brand. I still use my USA CL but I'll never buy another Viet Nam Ampeg again, I had an SVT-6 give weird issues after a week and I had a BA 210 that screwed up after 6 months and spent the next 3 in the shop before I told them they had to give me money back for this lump.

If the 6 was working good it was super versatile though, you could get nice cleans (something the CL can't do) and awesome growl. Didn't try the 4 and I don't think they make the 6 anymore.

My two cents.
  4. bassguy72

bassguy72

Jimmy M where u at?
  5. cosmicpimp2

cosmicpimp2

Yea I have the Vietnam junker. Last time I was looking at amps I don't think the 7 pro was out. I like the 2 pro but not the weight. I like that the 4 pro has 3 preamp tubes and won't kill me on weight. I've never owned a newer none tube amp.
  6. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Sorry to hear you're having problems with your CL, I didn't realize the Vietnam made CL was that sketchy compared to the US made. I'd also suggest the 7 Pro it's getting solid reviews here.
  7. cosmicpimp2

cosmicpimp2

I wish I had my Mesa 400 still. That was awesome but blew up
  8. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    If you're interested in looking outside Ampeg take a look at the Genz-Benz Streamliner head.
  9. jackcheez

jackcheez

What else matters ? :)
  10. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Or the G-K Fusion 550, the MB Fusion for a light weight version of a three tube preamp.

The Nampegs that were good are that GOOD, if they were bad they are very bad (from I have gleaned here and elsewhere).
  11. cosmicpimp2

cosmicpimp2

I just don't know how they hold up. My CL sounds pretty awesome when its working.

Oh and I hate the really light amps cause they move around too much. I tried a little mark II and didn't like it at all. If someone made a tube amp that was solid and under 70lbs that be great.
  12. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

All tube? Traynor and others. Tube pre and SS output the G-K Fusion 550 comes to mind again (28lbs).
  13. cosmicpimp2

cosmicpimp2

Anyone hear good things about the mesa 750? I'd like to go hybrid if I can find the right sound. the G-K and Genz will be on my list to look at. reliablity is big on my list too
  14. deaf pea

deaf pea

Disclosures:
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    I get a lot of Ampeg SVT-4PRO amps back-lined when we're on tour in the USA and the 3 tube preamp really sucks . . . and that's why I lug around an Ampeg SVP-PRO to help out the sound of the Ampeg SVT-4PRO . . . :cool: . . .
  15. rodl2005

rodl2005

The 7 pro is awesome. Not too light weight either. Sounds as close to a SVT as you'll get in a hybrid.
    Streamliner didn't work for me-too un-defined in a band setting.
    Traynor YBA300 is around 55lbs iirc & supposed to be lovely.
    I'd go the Traynor or Ampeg 7 pro over the 4 pro.
    The 4 pro sounded less tube like to me than the 7 pro. & the YBA300 is all tube.
  16. suraci

suraci

Guys I just returned the Streamliner... my SVT CL sounded BRIGHTER hello. I just liked it quite a bit more.

Is the SVT7 pro as bright ( at least as bright ) as the SVT CL?
    These tube hybrids seem to be cloudy in the mids.

I want an alternative to the SVT CL ( I will KEEP the SVT CL ) but it cannot be darker than the SVT !!! I want brighter not darker.
    I am trying MB LM2 now.
  17. Ncognito

Ncognito

Disclosures:
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    I had an SVT-CL for about 6 months all the while I owned an SVT-4 Pro. Too me the 4 Pro was and still is a better gigging amp. Rack mount, half the weight and 95% the same sound. I can't wait for a few select posters to chime in here, but I've actually owned and gigged them both A LOT (over 1,000 gigs). I will say the Ampeg 7 Pro sounds terrific. Sad to say I've had to return 5 of them due to shutting down at the gig. They do come back up in a second or so, but that won't work for me. Most guys have had no such problems.

[​IMG]
  18. suraci

suraci

Incognito. Might you compare tones of SVT CL svt7 pro etc?
  19. bassguy72

bassguy72

Ncognito is right .....the 7pro sounds freakin great.....if u don't want the weight or the hassle it is the one to go with
  20. Ncognito

Ncognito

Disclosures:
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    The Svt 7 Pro is buttery smooth and can do it all. It's the first switching amp that REALLY worked for me at the gig. I used a '74 SVT 7 nights a week for about 3 years back in the day when clubs had entertainment 7 nights a week. I say that only to make the point that I'm pretty experienced with "tube" tone. If you're an "SVT" guy, the 7 Pro will get you to Ampeg-land. Is it a 90 pound lead sled of tubey-goodness? Nope. Is it a very convincing faux SVT? Yes. At 15 pounds there ain't nothing out there that will get you in the SVT zip code like the SVT 7 Pro.