1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

SVT CL with 8x10 - Talk me out of it

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by kmon, Nov 16, 2012.

1. kmon

kmon

might have a line on a good deal on an Ampeg SVT Classic and an 8x10 classic...I'm sorely tempted...

Currently rolling with a Genz shuttle 9/Uber 4x10 and quite happy with it. No complaints whatsoever.

Would I be foolish to move from a light rig to the classic rock rig? Or is all tube tone so sublime that lugging it will be a labor of love? Will tube replacement be an easy tradeoff for the sonic nirvana in which I'll dwell?

btw...we play fairly heavy rock, gig infrequently, every 6 weeks or so.

I'm unlikely to listen to reason, but go ahead, tell me why this would be a bad move...:D

2. Shane Carter

Shane Carter

No, it's not "either or," you need both rigs.

3. portlandguy

portlandguy

not a bad move at all, cant think of a reason not to, you can sell it down the road and get probably more than you paid for it.

4. kmon

kmon

maybe bass players aren't the best people to talk me out of new gear :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

7. Alex1984

Alex1984

Every bass player should try that rig at least once in their life time. I did and I never turned back.

8. slap5string

slap5string

+1
    Both is NEVER a bad idea. I use my SVT rig 90% of the time and take my more portable GK rig to gigs and parties. Best of both worlds!

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Having at least 2 full bass rigs is almost a requirement as a TB member. Many here, (no names), have 3 or more.

10. soulman969

soulman969

Have you added in the cost of the gorilla you'll need to hire to move it or the cost of the hernia surgery if you don't? :p

I used to have one and I'd be sorely tempted too if I was 25 years younger. :D

11. kmon

kmon

If I was playing out all the time I wouldn't even think about it for that reason. But I'd only have to move it now and then and the bandmates can grab a handle.

Maybe I can sell it to the wife as a fitness machine...like a weight set, but so much cooler

12. kmon

kmon

yeah ***...we live once...

ok that's like 6 votes "for"...really looking to be talked out of it guys so yeah thanks

:D

13. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

Depends on the sound you like, GB gives you clean, quiet, modern sounding power. Ampeg gives you vintage, dirty torque. Tubes are HEAVY and require maintanance, if you play frequently and you dont have a road crew, then stick to your current set up.

Im a car guy and theres a lot of nostalgia when it comes to muscle cars, and i love them and all but when you look at todays muscle cars, they are better in every way. Aside from the nostalgia factor, why run the vintage gear? Todays gear sounds just as good and weighs half as much...

14. Basshappi

Basshappi

No one but us enablers here. :bag:

15. oinkbanana

oinkbanana

don't be tempted, go over there and try it!
    let your ears convince you.
    they've convinced everyone else who's tried one.

16. mball88

mball88 Supporting Member

I have your exact rig now, and had something very similar 3 years ago. Specifically, I had a Fender Bassman Pro, 300 watts, and a 4x10. I wouldn't even consider the Ampeg because of the weeeiiiggghhhhhhttttt. Seriously, start lugging that 100 pound head around, and you'll fall out of love with tubes real quick. Plus, it's not only heavy, it's awkward. I would never go back to that.

17. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

I use the 410 for practice and smaller gigs. It also fits in the back seat of a car. The 810 needs and truck, SUV, larger hatchback/stationwagon minimum. I would hate to have "just" the 810 and the heavy amp head. You would hate life. Having both will make you feel complete and flexible. I dont know what I would do if I had only one or the other.....need both for sure.

18. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I've ended up with a boat load of amps with the excuse of having a rig for every gig.

Small gigs get the Ampeg B-15N for electric or Carvin MB10 for upright. Medium gigs will see me using the Mesa Buster 210 or Twister Gainesville into '69 SVT/CTS loaded 410. I also use the Bassman 300 into a nameless 115 sometimes. If I ever have a "big" show I'll rent or borrow an 810 to use with the Bassman. I use my Hughes and Kettner BATT relentlessly for low volume or silent home practice and recording.

19. Honkycat

Honkycat

If you are getting a deal on it..you should'nt have too difficult a time selling it if you decide you don't want it.... (however,..if you decide to keep the head and sell the cab,it's a different story,there are countless 8x10's on Craigslist).

20. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Great rig. GO FOR IT!

21. redhed

redhed TUBE LOVER! Gold Supporting Member

Do IT! The SVT/810 set up is the king of all amps. There is nothing wrong wth having TONE for days!