1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

SVT Guru's

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by prd004, Nov 22, 2012.

1. prd004

prd004

Bought a used SVT-VR about three or four months ago. Other than the fan being noisy as heck it's worked fine, used it at home, a bunch of rehearsals, and a couple gigs. I've been real happy.

At practice the other day it took over five minutes to come out of standby mode. It worked afterwards but it had never done that before. For a few minutes there I thought it wasn't going to work.

To be clear, I turned the power on, the red light came on, the fan started whining (as usual), everything seemed normal. After the usual minute or two I give it to warm up I flipped the standby switch and nothing happened: the light stayed red, and the amp made no sound. I turned the standby off again waited a minute and tried again, same thing. Turned the amp off, double checked all the connections and went through the procedure again, same thing.
    It was desperation time and my band mates were giving me the stink eye. After waiting approx five minutes in standby mode, I finally got it to fire up and I made it through practice.

I had a gig the night before, got home way late,
    It was effing cold and raining, I had to go to work in just a few hours and had to go straight from work to practice so I left my gear in my truck??????

What do you guys think? Cold and damp? Normal? Ever since it takes longer to come on before but not like that night.

I have a gig tomorrow and I'm unsure if I should use it. Thanks in advance,
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

When I gigged my SVT I was one of the few I knew who never took a backup, almost all SVT users I have met take at least a D.I. with them, one of the joys of tubes.

Honestly I would check your tubes, make sure they are all seated right, also make sure the bias lights are both green when running the head, the first thing to always check is the tubes, especially for power related things.
  3. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

Try a different cab with a different speaker cable, perhaps your cab or speaker cable has a slight short and the amp is going into "protect" mode for legitimate reasons.

If not, time to have it checked out by a competent tech. And take a backup head to the gig just in case.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would never start a cold SVT until it got to room temp. Or any amp for that matter. Always best to let it get closer to room temp first as not to shock any of the glass parts. Have you tried it since practice to see what happens?
  5. prd004

prd004

I have a DI on my board for emergencies, but I have no PA support on Saturday. I don't have another cab readily available but I have plugged another amp into it, and it works fine.

What is "protect mode" and what's it all about?
  6. prd004

prd004

Yeah Jimmy I have and it's come on every time, but not as soon as I hit the standby, it seems to take a moment or two longer than it used too ( however, not the five to ten minutes it took the other night), but not instantly when I hit the standby

This is my first real SVT, and my first Seattle fall/winter with one obviously.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Protect mode is it not coming out of standby unless it's ready. It can also happen if the voltage drops below a certain point, which I believe is 113v. I don't know if they still have it, but at one time VR's had a relay that prevents it from turning on if the voltage drops below 113v. Johnk has an article on his website about it and how to fix it...I've been told this won't void your warranty, either:

http://johnkvintageguitars.homestead.com/SVT-VR.html

Honestly, I think it was just too cold to come out of standby until after 5 minutes. And it's always possible you have a tube on the way out. More than likely, though, it's cold. Fortunately you're not too far away from Ampeg HQ (Woodinville) so you could always take it to them and maybe get Hodgy to take a look at it...he's good like that. However, I don't know what their hours are over the holidays, so if you need it tomorrow, might be difficult to get in there if they're closed ;) But you can always call.
  8. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I think it was due to the fact that you left it in your truck on a cold damp night and as a result it took longer for the tubes to warm up. I never leave my gear in a vehicle over night.
  9. prd004

prd004

Thanks for all the advice! I'm up for more if anybody has some.

I think just to be safe, I'm going to use my III-Pro on Saturday, it's never had a hiccup in 19 years but I sure would prefer my VR, especially with no PA support.

Jimmy, I drive in and around woodinville daily, if I just dropped in un-announced with my amp would they actually test it out for me?????

Interesting article on the protect mode bypass, I just may do that

On a side note room temperature in Seattle this time of year is pretty damn cold, and it's going to get colder in the next few months. What is a safe operating temperature, and more importantly short of putting my amp directly in front of a heater what's a guy to do?
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I would absolutely call them first and make sure they have time to look at it. Common courtesy, you know? ;)

Safe operating temp, I don't know, but freezing temps are never a good idea for any amp. If it were me, I'd bring both the VR and 3 Pro and just have the 3 Pro ready to go in case you have a problem. Honestly, it sounds to me like you're OK.
  11. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

It could be low voltage but if it happens all the time at different locations there might be an issue with the amp.

The standby circuit has a relay in it that might be faulty. Generally relays operate over a wide range of temperatures (for example, -40C to 100C) so it is unlikely that low temperature is an issue. There are also some connectors that could be affected by excessive condensation or cold temperature swings.

When the amp is working, I wouldn't worry about harming it. I would have a tech take a look at it, or better yet, take it in to Loud. If you need the amp for gigs, you might be able to arrange to take it in and get it back the same day.
  12. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Hmmm dampness corroding contacts in the standby relay? Possible.
  13. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Bring amp and voltmeter to gigs and practice
    Plug in warm amp and see if it works
    If not check line voltage; if it's 115 or higher the amp goes to a tech (that regularly works on SVT's) for repair
  14. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    I have read that solid state amps can get nano cracks if going from COLD to full temp too quickly.... I always get to a gig and turn the SS amp on and just let the fan blow room temp air trough it for 15 minutes before hitting it with high VOL which will run the temp up..
  15. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

+1. sounds like bad tubes or a dislodged tube. I'm no expert but I'm generally more concerned about moving a warm amp right after playing than starting them from cold. They generally get warm pretty quick but I believe it's good to leave them on standby mode before and after playing for some extended periods of time.

If removing and putting back the power tubes does not do it, I think it's time for a trip to the amp tech.

When I read the title, SVT Guru. JimmyM immediately came to mind.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    LOL Laurent...I'm hardly an SVT guru! I'm more of an SVT cheerleader. I only wish I could get into the nuts and bolts of them.
  17. hodgy

hodgy

Disclosures:
    Tech Support- Ampeg/ Mackie
    prd004:
    Bring it in next week, I'll be there from 8 to 4:30 M-W. After that I'm on vacation. I can go over it, make sure it's got the 'official' relay circuit mod (not the one that's linked above), go over the tubes, etc. Just go to the lobby and someone will holler at me.
    Hopefully your amp will survive the gig. But be comforted that it's Seattle and nobody cares about the bass player anyway.
    Feel free to call or send a PM!
    425-745-2224
  18. prd004

prd004

Thanks Hodgy,

For peace of mind I'm going to use my SVT III PRO on Saturday, I'd prefer to use the VR but the 3Pro has served me well for hundreds of gigs and I know there won't be any issues.

I will try to swing the VR your way first thing Monday.

Thanks again to all the talkbassers for the help!
  19. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

I believe that they use a solid state relay in the VR, a little 16 pin PC mounted device. I was thinking more the connectors on the AC terminal board.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    What's different?