1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

SVT-IIP ventilation

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Flatbass, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Flatbass

Flatbass

Hi all!

I've got an Ampeg SVT-IIP preamp which I'd like to put in a rack. The manual states 'Be sure unit has proper ventilation by keeping top, bottom, side and rear free of obstructions. One inch clearance is recommended.'

Is this really all that necessary? It'd mean this one rack space preamp would take up three rack spaces >_<

Can I get away with putting it in the top slot of a wooden rack with a power amp directly below it? There are vents on the top and back for the three 12ax7 tubes. There aren't any fans in this thing.
    Or do I need a bigger rack and have the top slot empty for ventilation?

2. Flatbass

Flatbass

I checked out some more preamps and none of them seem to require the ventilation as stated in the IIP-manual. The Trace V-Type and Alembic F-1X both don't seem to need any air flow. The Alembic even has a metal cylinder around its 12AX7.

Would the IIP be different in any way? More voltage applied to the tubes and therefore more heat?

Can I damage anything in racking the pre like I described above to see if it gets unreasonably hot?

3. mazdah

mazdah

This one rack space preamp needs one rack space :) Just do not put one on another, dont let the devices touch each other - most rack cases are big enough to leave few centimetres for ventilation, just like here:

[​IMG]

The case is 2U, preamp is 1U, the metal grid is 1U, you can see much free space between and above them.

4. anderbass

anderbass

If Jerrold Tiers doesn't reply to your thread, you should send him a PM or email and get his opinion. He'd know better than anyone else here since he's probably the guy that designed your preamp :cool:
    Here's his contact info:--> http://www.talkbass.com/forum/member.php?u=36524

5. Register to disable this ad