1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

svt into pf cabs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BaDon, Jan 20, 2014.

1. BaDon

BaDon

do you think dual pf15he's will be able to handle a svt classic 300 tube head without blowing?

2. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Media:
    Albums:
  3. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I gigged for years with an SVT head and a pair of TL606 cabinets I built with EV SRO 15's in them (the big coffee can ones.) Never had a problem and they worked well. The PF's are probably better speakers for bass than my old SRO's.

4. BaDon

BaDon

this is good news
    thanks!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

There is also the SVT-212AV cabinet to consider. 66lbs.

7. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    Yep, I did it. Too much 500-800 hz midrange for me. The PF500 played nicer with them imo/ime.

8. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

just keep in mind that the PF15HE's are 8ohm cabs, and I don't think SVT's are tapped for other than 2 and 4ohm loads. So, you would have to run at least 2 PF115HE's to get to the 4ohms.

Power handling on these cabs is 450w (8ohms), so unless you dimed the SVT, it would probably work fine (other than the ohm issue). 2 115HE's would be totally fine and probably sound pretty good.

I use a PF500/115HE rig for rehearsal and it is quite a nice sounding rehearsal rig.

9. eyoyo

eyoyo Supporting Member

Aren't 500-800hz frequencies ideal to get a good growly sound ?

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Depends on your definition of it. To some, too much makes it too aggressive.

11. BaDon

BaDon

yes i have dual pf15he's and picked up my american made SVT classic head today

12. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    The mid output of the SVT might like the pf210's if you're looking for some ying/yang action with amp and cab. The 210's to me sound a bit deeper, more low thump and a bit less mids. Might come out about right with that amp.

A word though, you might find yourself needing to leave the tweeter on its lowest setting to "finish out" the sound a bit as the cones don't seem to have much for uppermids/top. I guess it all depends on what you're going for in tone. The pf210's sound pretty dang beefy for a 210 cab. Running any more than two of those cabs and your drums would have to be amplified, even with a heavy hitter, or you'll drown out the kick.