SVT standby/power

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by quarternote, Jan 26, 2014.

1. quarternote

quarternote

Please refresh my memory on an SVT standby/power switch, thanks.

2. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

They're on the right side of the amp in the front. One says standby and the other says power.

3. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

And they go "click"

4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. quarternote

quarternote

Thanks Beans, I do appreciate your assistance.
    And Solarman, remember a Forum is only as valuable as it's participants.

7. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Or the quality of the questions asked? ;)

8. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Supporting Member

Chill gents. How about just adding a little more detail to the question and folks will add some info. My standby is on the back of my svt.

9. nysbob

nysbob

As always - power on with amp in standby, wait 30 - 60 seconds (or longer if you're a procrastinator) then out of standby and play.

I think we've determined that the sequence of powering down isn't as critical.

10. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

I used to turn on, then wait couple mins before standby off...thought the tubes needed more time to warm...maybe they dont?

Another musician once told me that, after use, turning off the power before putting the standby switch back on allowed the capacitors to drain voltage. Is that a myth?

11. nysbob

nysbob

Myth or no, there was no consensus (but plenty of tedious discussion) on whether it had any bearing on anything. Many people do it either way with no detectable difference as far as reliability or performance.

12. beans-on-toast

It is good practice to not touch the standby when turning off the amp. Some amps are designed to have a pathway for the electrolytic capacitors to drain when the power is off, some don't. Leaving the standby switch closed can help those amps that don't.

It takes time for the caps to drain so turning off the amp and waiting a minute then putting the amp in standby may not give the caps enough time to discharge. The amount of time that it takes a capacitor to discharge depends on the voltage across the capacitor, the capacitance, and the resistance in the discharge pathway. The important thing to remember is that it is different for make of every amp. So to be safest, just leave the standby in playing mode and put the amp in standby before turning it on next time.

13. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty

On my 1972 SVT the standby switch is in the back. On my SVT-CL it is on the front next to the power.

I only use it when powering up. Never when powering down. I hope that is ok.

14. beans-on-toast

Perfectly fine.