SVT-VR vs Mesa Prodigy

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by drea2304, Feb 12, 2014.

1. drea2304

drea2304 Supporting Member

Can someone talk me out of getting rid of my SVT-VR for a Mesa Prodigy before it's to late?

2. Jazzbass2010

Jazzbass2010

I haven't tried the new mesa my self . I am going just from tone I have heard on videos . I am still using the VR going on 8 years this summer . I sold a classic svt one to buy the mesa buster . The mesa was a good amp I just was not happy until I got another svt then I bought my VR . I bought the new V4 B and sold the new V4 b still kept the VR . In the end if it's the tone you like it can not be beaten .

3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Mesa under specs their transformers, and over rates their amps. Not going to have the booty your Ampeg does.

4. drea2304

I bought my VR new in 07 after owning a vintage blue line and really love it but lately I've been using my streamliner more due to laziness. A 26 pound tuber got my attention. I experimented with selling the VR in TB classifieds with no luck. That's why I was thinking about trading. Haven't had a chance to plug into the Prodigy yet.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TC.65

TC.65

What was your reason for selling the new V4B? I'm just curious cause I'm about to buy one.

7. Jazzbass2010

Jazzbass2010

I usually run my vr through a 4x10 or yorkville 8x8 never had issues . I had the V4 b run out of head room . I found the VR would just maintain the low end thump no matter the volume where the V4 B would change at louder volumes . In the amps defense my guitar player is using 50/100 watt combo amp . I do miss the weight though .

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    100 watts of tube doesn't often cut it for me and I'm not given to playing at high volume... Clean hedroom and punchy clear lows are problemtic ... And my guitarist uses a 22 watt Dr Z 4x10 and a Fender Deluxe Reverb, no half stack...

9. TC.65

TC.65

Ok thanks for answering my question. I'll eventually be running mine through 2 of the SVT 212 AV cabs and I think it should cover my needs. good to knw it wasn't a quality issue.

10. someparts

someparts Supporting Member

I have a Mesa D-180 that I use with smaller cabs. It's a lot lighter and sounds quick and grindy....but it does not have the same huge warm push as an SVT.

11. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Can you try the Prodigy first? I'd A/B them if such a thing is possible.

12. Alex1984

Alex1984

I wouldn't do that trade. The VR has the raw power that I like.

13. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

this statement reeks of misinformation and does not really answer the OP's question as much as smear Mesa.

to the OP, you gotta ask yourself, or at least tell us why you would consider the Prodigy over your SVT-VR.
    First thing is, I would try to hear the Prodigy before I dropped the dime on one.
    As far as "booty" goes, a 250w all tube amp is NOT going to lack in the booty department compared to a 300w all tube amp. geez.

If you like the SVT sound, then you should probably stick with it. OTOH, the Prodigy and Strategy both have a "voice" control with several (5?) built in EQ presets. Both of them have "SVT-like" settings, so that may help you out. But then again, you already have an SVT, so why go with another brand ?

some more info on your situation might help.

14. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

+1 to the above, and also consider the size and weight. Prodigy is tiny compared to an SVT. It's 29lbs rather than 80lbs and is significantly smaller in physical size.

15. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Before dumping the VR, spend some time with a Prodigy and make sure that it provides the sound that you are looking for.

Different tone stages. Different power stages. Different power supplies. Different transformers. Because of this, they are different sounding amps.

16. drea2304

Thanx to all for your input. That's what is so cool about TB. I wish I could afford to have both even for a while to compare. I have seen all the vids for the Prodigy and like what I heard and listened to a guy plug into one with a Mesa 410 & an Ibanez somethin and it sounded great. I'd like to hear a stingray and a svt 810. I guess the reason i'm wanting one is because the weight and hassle of dragging the SVT around. That's why I bought the streamliner a few years ago. Maybe I should just quit bellyaching and start carrying the thing around again.

17. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Have any of you guys had a chance to spend much quality time with both?
    If I could get a 29 lb. SVT…
    My dad used to say (based on tube gear) is that the quality of sound is often measured by the pound. Hopefully this will change.
    I don't often use my SVT due to weight but it really is my favorite amp (with a multi driver cab) compared to the 1 million other amps I've owned since the 70's.

Next stop is GK Fusion and hope it is close enough to replace my 7-Pro.

18. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Bass Club Chicago has the Prodigy. Might be worth bringing up your VR for an A/B.

19. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

I can tell you that voice settings 4 and 5 on both the Prodigy and Strategy are designed to be very SVT-like. I have tried them both, and have played enough real SVT's in my day, that I would say that Mesa has done a very good job with that.

But of course, everyone has a bit different "real SVT" sound in their head.

20. drea2304

That would be fun. I'm about 3 hours south. One of the vids I watched was from Bass Club.

21. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

I demo'd the prodigy at my local store. Huge tone , small box. It sounds very Mesa