1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

SVT + VTBass = Winner!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by KablesP, Feb 5, 2014.

1. KablesP

KablesP

I played a show last week at a studio that had an Ampeg CL and an 8x10 (not sure of which model) and since I didn't have to use the VT like I normall do, I used it as an overdrive and it sounds so great! I got as close to the sound of the CL with VT and added drive to taste and it made a wonderful overdrive.

I am getting an SVTII (non pro) tonight (weather permitting) that I am sure will sound great with the VT as overdrive.

Anyone else use an SVT and a VTBass? :bassist:
  2. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Supporting Member

Yes.....I add tube to my tubes also. I have an SVT II NP also, and regardless of which amp head I use, and regardless of the name printed on the Tech 21 stomp box, The VT Bass is a pre-amp. Use it if it make the sound better. Use two of them if that is better....etc.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Supporting Member

I don't own an SVT, but if I did, I would use my VT Bass with it... especially in situations where I couldn't crank up the SVT. The VT would make the SVT sound loud without actually being loud. :p
  4. KablesP

KablesP

Exactly! Set the amp clean and then its basically a 2 channel setup.
  5. pfschim

pfschim Supporting Member

+1 to all that
    I use my VTD in front of all backlines I get, including SVT's. Some are great, some are not so great. The only time I did not use the VTD was when a venue (in Columbus OH) provided a totally clean 70's Blueline SVT into an early 70's flatback.

I also use the VTD in front of all my personal amps, and it does a great job.

Our resident Ampeg guru JimmyM questions this approach, i.e. VT into an SVT, but I guess I would expect that of him. :cool:

enjoy!
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't question the VT as a dirt pedal into an SVT. I think it makes a great SVT-sounding dirt pedal. I quit using it because all I have is a VT Deluxe and I got a super easy-to-use overdrive that I use instead, but I wouldn't mind getting another small VT.
  7. KablesP

KablesP

What overdrive do you use instead? I like a little bit of grit, as long as it still sounds full. And I HATE those bass tones where you can heard the super clean clicky tone with a super distorted guitar like tone. It sounds like two different tracks...yuck.

I was also looking into getting a Blender pedal for my guitar od pedals so I can mix in just enough of my clean tone so I don't lose low end.
  8. Groover

Groover

How are you guys dealing with the noise the VT pedal adds? I sold it because of that reason.

pfschim - Where did you play in Columbus, OH?
  9. KablesP

KablesP

I only really notice the noise at rehearsals so most of the time I can't even hear it at shows.
  10. pfschim

pfschim Supporting Member

Corporate event, outdoors at the home of the University President (at the time), Gordon Gee. About 250 people or so. Nice party.

Sound was provided by a very big sound/stage outfit who is HQ'd locally in Columbus. I met the owner, but forget his name, and the name of the company. They provided top notch gear, thats for sure.

As far as noise, I don't find my VTD noisy at all. When I rehearse or practice, I am right next to my rig, and I don't hear any noise from any of the gear, other than some slight fan noise from the Walkabout head.
  11. Alex1984

Alex1984

Yes, an SVT + a VT Bass is a thing of beauty. Love the SVT II NP too!
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I use a customized Greedtone Overdrive clone that JohnK built. Has a couple different rolloffs for high end which are sweet. One is more like an SVT rolloff, the other is a darker tone. Sounds full to me, although that's often in the ear of the beholder.
  13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Supporting Member

Just chiming in to say that I haven't noticed noise coming from any of my SansAmps: BDDI, VT Deluxe, RBI, RPM, VT-RM (I gig the rackmounts). I guess I'd notice some noise when boosting Presence, but that's no surprise, and it was only a problem in one room we played that had bad wiring... and the noise was far worse through the guitarist's rig.
  14. sincity

sincity Supporting Member

I have had noise on all three Sansamp pedals I have owned, especially when the Drive is boosted.

BDDI
    Para Driver
    VT

My signal chain is (Boss TU-2 - MXR Phase 90 - VT) powered by a Voodoo Labs PP2.

I am beginning to think my signal is compromised by either my Boss TU-2 or the VL PP2.

I still own the VT pedal and love it, especially thru my GK 700RBII or SVT 3 Pro.