1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

SVT + VTBass = Winner!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by KablesP, Feb 5, 2014.

1. KablesP

KablesP

I played a show last week at a studio that had an Ampeg CL and an 8x10 (not sure of which model) and since I didn't have to use the VT like I normall do, I used it as an overdrive and it sounds so great! I got as close to the sound of the CL with VT and added drive to taste and it made a wonderful overdrive.

I am getting an SVTII (non pro) tonight (weather permitting) that I am sure will sound great with the VT as overdrive.

Anyone else use an SVT and a VTBass? :bassist:

2. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

Yes.....I add tube to my tubes also. I have an SVT II NP also, and regardless of which amp head I use, and regardless of the name printed on the Tech 21 stomp box, The VT Bass is a pre-amp. Use it if it make the sound better. Use two of them if that is better....etc.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

I don't own an SVT, but if I did, I would use my VT Bass with it... especially in situations where I couldn't crank up the SVT. The VT would make the SVT sound loud without actually being loud. :p

4. KablesP

KablesP

Exactly! Set the amp clean and then its basically a 2 channel setup.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

+1 to all that
    I use my VTD in front of all backlines I get, including SVT's. Some are great, some are not so great. The only time I did not use the VTD was when a venue (in Columbus OH) provided a totally clean 70's Blueline SVT into an early 70's flatback.

I also use the VTD in front of all my personal amps, and it does a great job.

Our resident Ampeg guru JimmyM questions this approach, i.e. VT into an SVT, but I guess I would expect that of him. :cool:

enjoy!

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't question the VT as a dirt pedal into an SVT. I think it makes a great SVT-sounding dirt pedal. I quit using it because all I have is a VT Deluxe and I got a super easy-to-use overdrive that I use instead, but I wouldn't mind getting another small VT.

8. KablesP

KablesP

What overdrive do you use instead? I like a little bit of grit, as long as it still sounds full. And I HATE those bass tones where you can heard the super clean clicky tone with a super distorted guitar like tone. It sounds like two different tracks...yuck.

I was also looking into getting a Blender pedal for my guitar od pedals so I can mix in just enough of my clean tone so I don't lose low end.

9. Groover

Groover

How are you guys dealing with the noise the VT pedal adds? I sold it because of that reason.

pfschim - Where did you play in Columbus, OH?

10. KablesP

KablesP

I only really notice the noise at rehearsals so most of the time I can't even hear it at shows.

11. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Corporate event, outdoors at the home of the University President (at the time), Gordon Gee. About 250 people or so. Nice party.

Sound was provided by a very big sound/stage outfit who is HQ'd locally in Columbus. I met the owner, but forget his name, and the name of the company. They provided top notch gear, thats for sure.

As far as noise, I don't find my VTD noisy at all. When I rehearse or practice, I am right next to my rig, and I don't hear any noise from any of the gear, other than some slight fan noise from the Walkabout head.

12. Alex1984

Alex1984

Yes, an SVT + a VT Bass is a thing of beauty. Love the SVT II NP too!

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I use a customized Greedtone Overdrive clone that JohnK built. Has a couple different rolloffs for high end which are sweet. One is more like an SVT rolloff, the other is a darker tone. Sounds full to me, although that's often in the ear of the beholder.

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

Just chiming in to say that I haven't noticed noise coming from any of my SansAmps: BDDI, VT Deluxe, RBI, RPM, VT-RM (I gig the rackmounts). I guess I'd notice some noise when boosting Presence, but that's no surprise, and it was only a problem in one room we played that had bad wiring... and the noise was far worse through the guitarist's rig.

15. sincity

sincity Supporting Member

I have had noise on all three Sansamp pedals I have owned, especially when the Drive is boosted.

BDDI
    Para Driver
    VT

My signal chain is (Boss TU-2 - MXR Phase 90 - VT) powered by a Voodoo Labs PP2.

I am beginning to think my signal is compromised by either my Boss TU-2 or the VL PP2.

I still own the VT pedal and love it, especially thru my GK 700RBII or SVT 3 Pro.