SVT3-Pro vs. Terror Bass

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by xnogoodjackx, Dec 20, 2013.

1. xnogoodjackx

xnogoodjackx

I recently got an SVT3-Pro (a couple months ago) and, to put it simply, have not been satisfied with the overall volume of the head. Although I really enjoy the all-tube feel to it, it just doesn't seem to be pushing strong enough through my Classic Series 8x10 (I play with a pick in a hardcore band so that might be something do to with it).

I've heard a lot of good things about the Orange Terror Bass being a very versatile head and I was wondering what everyone's opinions would be on this situation? Should I sell the SVT3-Pro and get a Terror Bass or continue my search? Thanks!
  2. xnogoodjackx

xnogoodjackx

I'm also running the head through a Sansamp 3 channel. Not sure if this has anything to do with it. If you can't tell, I'm somewhat new to this whole pro gear thing. Haha
  3. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    The SVT-3 isnt really a powerhouse (same goes for the SVT-4, I feel like it puts out half of what it's rated). You may be able to get more out of it with some EQ adjustment. Disengage the Ultra Low, keep Bass flat, boost 150 Hz on the graphic, use whatever Gain you like and crank the Master.

If you have a huge low end profile, it'll suck the power out of the amp. A little more mids and low mids instead of lows will help you in the mix.

FWIW, I've never heard anyone complain about the output of the Terror Bass.
  4. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Just as a side - the SVT3-Pro isn't all-tube.

As far as not pushing strong enough, my guess is you'd be better suited (especially playing hardcore and depending on your guitarists' setups) with something that's going to push more than 450W into your 810.

Methinks you need more power.

I've heard good about the Terror Basses (I'm an Orange owner myself - AD200B), but personally if I wasn't cutting the mustard with 450W, I would be skeptical of 500W and would shoot for the 1000. But at that price range of new, I'd just get a real all tube head, YMMV.

If you like the Ampeg tone you're getting now - the PF800 could be a cheap and powerful alternative(?) Solid State, but it's packing some power.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

For what the terror costs you could just get a vb-2 head and have a super versatile all tube head.
  7. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers and Spector Basses
    I have owned a bunch of Ampeg heads, from the SVT 3 pro, 4 pro and Classic, and would take my Orange Terror Bass 1000 over all of them. More headroom than I could ever need, and weighs 10lbs. Plus I hated the eq's on the 3 and 4 pro's as they were too much. The Orange is super easy to eq and is simple. Really gives your bass a warm and booming tone without colouring it.
  8. inri222

inri222

I agree about the SVT-3 but the IMO the SVT-4 is a monster when it comes to volume
  9. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    And as P-Oddz stated, neither the svt-3pro or the Orange Terror bass are ALL tube. I believe the 3 pro has a tube pre amp ( I know the 4 pro did) and the Orange has a tube pre-amp with a class D solid state power section. I love that the Orange really does sound like a tube amp but with none of the upkeep costs or the weight, except for a 12AX7 here and there. I could never get anywhere close to a full tube amp tone out of the 3 pro.
  10. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

SVT3-Pro. Had one. I can fart louder than it can play. Sell it!
  11. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

If I could offer a suggestion? Turn the gain up until the sound is just unpleasantly distorted and back off a little (ignore the "clip" light) and then adjust the master for loudness. See if it performs more to your liking.

Moving from 450 watts to 500 watts is like trying to empty the Pacific ocean with a teaspoon.
  12. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    I agree with you in theory, but I had an SVT3 pro and could never get it to cut through or be loud enough. I've played a TB500 through an ampeg 810 and it was great.

My advice to the OP would be to spend the extra $200 and get the TB1000. I think there's even one in the TB classifieds for the price of a TB500 new. The extra headroom and 500 extra watts is well worth the extra $200 jump from a TB500 to a TB1000, and that 1000 is more than you will ever need.
  13. xnogoodjackx

xnogoodjackx

Do you think the 500 is enough to go up against a Peavey 6534+ running through two mesa 4x12's? Or should I look into the 1000? And yeah, that's a problem I had with the SVT3; the 9 band graphic eq was just a bit unnecessary for me. Plus, it's going to be a huge pain carrying it around on tour if I plan to keep it.
  14. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    Dude, get the 1000. It's worth the extra $200. More power than you will ever need and sounds awesome through an Ampeg 810
  15. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    [laugh!]

Ouch! I see what you are up against. Get the biggest amp you can afford. Try to talk some sense into the guitarist too [recommended solution, regardless of amp]. Buy a bulk-size pack of earplugs while u at it.
  16. GretschBassist

GretschBassist Supporting Member

The SVT3Pro is unreliable as hell. Maybe have a look at the MB Fusion 800 by Gallien Krueger along with the Neo412 Cab. You can blow holes into walls with that rig. That being said, I'm not a Terror guy at all.
  17. Gonzo64

Gonzo64

SVT3 Pro is a great head, but can take a bit of experimenting to get good sound quantity. Make sure the MOSFETs are properly biased, or you will never be happy with the output. Lots of info on here about this procedure. Jerrold Teirs (sp?) is very knowledgeable and his posts were a huge help to me. My 3Pro wasn't as loud as a 200 watt 2x10 combo until the bias was correct. Now i'm knocking things off the wall and shelves. Rock the gain so that the peak light comes on every note you play. The plate voltage knob is counter-intuitive: read posts or experiment. Leave EQ flat except the EQ gain (far-right slider, i think) and leave the ultra high and ultra low off.
  18. chunkstyle

chunkstyle

Turn the graphic EQ of the SVT3 on and crank the level. You can keep all the sliders flat, but crank the level...
  19. sincity

sincity Supporting Member

I love my SVT 3 Pro. Flat out the best tone I have had in years and more than enough volume for a medium to large club gig. My GK 700RBII hasn't come out to play in 6 months, and I love the GK.

I don't understand the volume issue as mine gets pretty loud thru my 4 ohm cabinet. Perhaps a tune up of the mosfets as suggested in your 3 Pro might help you get full power out of the head. But the tone of the 3 Pro is killer. Beautiful overdrive, thick blooming lows, cutting low mids. Secret is knowing how to use the midrange control and the plate voltage knob.

That being said and with the style of music you play, I am sure the Terror head will sound great and you will be able to push your 8x10 to where you want it to go.
  20. drea2304

drea2304 Supporting Member

Give the Streamliner 900 a try.
  21. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

You've heard that it's versatile? Really? What I've gathered is just the opposite - i.e. doesn't do a lot of different things, but what it does do, it does really, really well. :meh:

MM