SVT3 Pro with 410HLF Enough power?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ultra60, Jan 16, 2014.

1. ultra60

ultra60 Supporting Member

This is my practice rig with the band. I've got the 500 Watt 410HLF. Last night at practice, I was really pushing the pre and master volumes at 3/4 to get the volume I needed. The band plays loud.

Am I going to blow the speakers, pushing the 3 pro that hard? It may be underpowered for this cabinet.

would a 7pro be a better choice? If so, how about the tone compared to the 3pro?

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    There is no such thing as under powering.

The 3 pro has enough to push that 410 to its limits.

3. Lo-E

Lo-E

With most basses, the 3pro's preamp will be turned up pretty high to get a great sound anyway. Usually about 3/4 for me. You want the clip light to be lighting up when you hit a note. I know that's a little counter-intuitive, but trust me, the 3 pro likes to be pushed that hard and sounds great there.

As far as output goes, if you're at 3/4 with the master and you're getting what you need, you should be fine. As long as things aren't breaking up really badly, you should be okay. The 3 pro is around 275W into 8 ohms, and I'm guessing your cab is an 8 ohm cab. That said, 275W can be pretty darn loud with a 4x10.

It sounds to me like you're right on the edge of needing more power, but I think you're still okay as long as you're not hearing a lot of breakup.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you didn't blow it last night and the cab didn't sound like it was struggling, you won't blow it. That 500w rating for the 410hlf is for fartout, not blowout, and if it was rated for fartout, it would be closer to 1000w power handling. And there is no such thing as underpowering, as only OVERpowering blows cabs.

Soundwise I like both. Some may prefer the 7 Pro over the 3 Pro and vice versa. They do sound different in some ways, but have the same basic Ampeggy vibe. To me, the 7 Pro sounds and feels like an SVT being pushed ever so slightly into the red while the 3 Pro sounds more like an SVT running clean, although you can make it sound pushed by engaging the tube gain. But they're made quite differently, so this is definitely a try-before-you-buy thing.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

If you are using the ultra low it might be getting lost in the mix. Otherwise you might consider goosing the mids a bit. I don't think your cab or amp is in any danger

7. lokikallas

I sold my old 3 and bought a 7. I've got nothing but awesomeness from the 7.

8. ultra60

ultra60 Supporting Member

thanks for the replies. The 410HLF is 4 ohms, 500 watts. One of the USA cabs.

On the 3 pro, I run the pre on 3/4.

I was concerned that if I was pushing the 3 Pro into distortion, that might harm the cab.

It would be hard to tell if I am distorting, as the guitar player uses a Marshall stack.

I'll pay more attention next week.

9. backin82

backin82 Jack of a Few Trades Supporting Member

I've tried running the 3 Pro preamp around 5-8 and always get a farting sound on my 15/6. I had to go all volume and small gain to get a decent sound with my current setup.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It might, but mere distortion alone won't blow anything but tweeters. The distortion has to be able to overpower the speakers. The 3 Pro is capable of it as it can put out 900w in peaks, but it doesn't necessarily mean it will overpower them.

11. Lo-E

Lo-E

Excellent advice. Low mids are where it's at - especially with Ampeg.

If the cab is 4 Ohms, you should be able to push that rig plenty loud. If it ain't fartin', you're fine.

12. lokikallas

I think the 3 pro was made for the 410hlf. They are perfectly matched. Don't be afraid of the fur. Gain is your friend. Just keep the lows in check, bump the mids and you are ready for anything.