1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

SVT4pro buzz and power reading

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by doomloop, Nov 27, 2012.

1. doomloop

doomloop

So I got an svt4 pro and 810e....as a backup for my svt classic and 810e:smug:...the svt4 seems to have a slight buzz once the gain is at about 12 oclock or higher. It did not change when I touched the bass strings or instrument cable input jack.

I tried it out in a different outlet in a friends garage and the buzz was way worse and went away when I grabbed my bass instrument cable input. I attribute that to bad power ground at the outlet and/or possibly a light fixture on the circuit.

I've read a bit about the ground/buzz issue with these amps and was just wondering if it's most likely the power source causing the buzz of if there could be something amp specific that would cause this.

Also...is there a safe way to determine how much power my amp is putting out with a basic voltmeter or does it require a more sophisticated tool to read that. I just want to make sure it's running properly and that both sides are functioning in stereo at the correct power ratings and also when bridged.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If it goes away when you grab the cable, sounds to me more like a ground loose in your bass than a problem with the amp. Houses and apartments can have a lot of noise sources, so you can't always tell from that. But if goes away when you touch your cable, that's usually indicative of the bass being the culprit.
  3. doomloop

doomloop

The buzz goes away when I grab the cable but only in one circumstance (the garage) and with the same bass it has less buzz from the other outlet but does not go away with touching the cable (in my apartment) which to me seems as if it's not the bass.

I'm getting a new studio with cleaner power than from my apt or the garage in the example. I'll see how it goes with that. Thanks!