1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Swaping Aguilar 60's JJ from MEC on Warick Thumb advice needed

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RedMoses, Feb 9, 2013.

1. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

Sup All,

Got my hands on a 2003 Thumb Bleached Blonde Thumb Bass, so light!(7.6 lbs) and I like the burpy punch she gets but the pick ups are too harsh at the top end for me, i got a deal on a set of Aguilar J60's to hopefully tame the highs a bit.

This will be my first time soldering, im pretty confident i can get the job done but im looking for some best practice guidance. The Thumb has the MEC pups and 2 band pre, im pretty sure they Aggys will fit and work with the MEC active pre, since these pups work with Aguilar's Pre, right?

My question is: Do i make a new solder to the blend pot and EQ pot as they are currently wired OR do i leave the ends soldered to the pots and splice in and solder the Aggy pups further down the leeds?

My initial instict tells me to remove the original solder points and re-solder the Aggy wires to the actual pots but it would be FAR easier to leave the nice factory soldering in tact and attached the Aggys further down eliminating the possibility of a crappy first timer soldering job.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.
  2. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

bump, maybe is should have put this thread in the pick ups section.
  3. MPU

MPU

Get some spare pot and practice soldering with it. I would solder the new pickups to the pots. Easier and cleaner looking and no need to shield the solders like if you solder wires together. Just don't heat the pots too much. I teach kids to solder so that when the tip of the solder gun touches the leg of the pot they count "one, two, three" and then add solder.