swapping location. EMG pups.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by WoodyH, Mar 13, 2014.

1. WoodyH

WoodyH

Bass has stock, EMG 35J "neck", EMG 35DC bridge. I want to buy an EMG 35P4 to swap out the Jazz neck pup, then put it in the bridge depending on the sound I want. They are installed with quick-connects. I'm wondering if all the EMG 35 series pups connect in the same place, and if I could swap them on rare occasion, without screwing up the connectors?. Having the option of a P, Jazz, and Humbucker, in whatever configuration you want sounds appealing.

2. evermelon

evermelon Previously srvlives4evr Supporting Member

Not ALL EMG 35 series pickups can be swapped in and out, but most can. The EMG 35J, 35P4, 35DC, 35CS, 35JCS and corresponding X-series models use a 3 pin connector and can be swapped one for another. The 35TW and 35TWX use a 7 pin connector. The 35HZ uses a 5 pin connector, but it is passive so don't even really need to worry about that one.

3. WoodyH

WoodyH

Now that you mention it the 35 J, P4, and DC are a "soapbar" style, and the 35TW are like a "Music Man" humbucker size. Thanks for the info!

4. JustForSport

JustForSport

Anyone know why there are 5 terminals on the 35hz, since it's not powered?
    Splittable, possibly?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. evermelon

evermelon Previously srvlives4evr Supporting Member

Yep. Each coil has seperate leads so you can do combinations of series or parallel or single. and the fifth is shielding lead..