Swapping Necks on a Stingray Classic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mdr0430, Jan 13, 2014.

1. mdr0430

mdr0430 Supporting Member

I just wanted to get opinions on this matter. I have a stingray classic that I thoroughly enjoy, except for the color. The retroburst is very nice, but I'm tired of "burst" finishes (my j-bass is a burst, as well). The original color I wanted was the Powder Blue with a maple FB, but couldn't find any and I received a great deal on the bass I currently have.

I walked into GC yesterday and there was a used powder blue stingray classic on sale. Only problem is that it has a rosewood FB, and I prefer the maple look. This is the first powder blue stingray classic I've seen in person and have heard they discontinued the color.

Now to my question (finally): What are your opinions on swapping the maple neck from my current stingray classic to the powder blue stingray classic and placing the rosewood neck to my current retroburst stingray? Since they are the same model, everything should fit perfectly, right? Obviously, I would be selling off the burst and rosewood stingray and would explicitly let the buyer know the change. Would this decrease re-sale value or anything I should be aware of?
  2. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Albums:
    I would think that they would swap out fine since they were cut for the same bass. As far as resale value goes, it may hurt it even though they'll know because you told them. When they run the serial numbers with EBMM, it won't come back right. Now if they don't care about that and many don't, it may not since the new neck will be an awesome Classic neck anyway. It's not like you're trying to put a S.U.B. neck on a Classic body and trying to pass it off as legit.
  3. mdr0430

Those were my thoughts, as well. Anyone else have an opinion on swapping necks between two Stingray Classics?
  4. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

It should work fine. I frankly would feel no need to disclose it either. If you bought 2 american fender P bass and swapped necks around big deal. These are bolt on instruments and the value is still the same. If you did this 30-40 years from now when they had collectors value I could see disclosing it.
  5. sonicblue62

sonicblue62 Supporting Member

You can just buy the powder blue w/ rosewood board and send it my way. Thank you. ;)
  6. mdr0430

I think I might pop over to GC this week after work and inspect it closer. My current Ray is good looking in its own right, but that powder blue is pretty awesome, and unique, for that matter.