1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Swapping Pups in Fender AVRI '63 Precision for Fralins

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MicG, Jan 26, 2014.

1. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Hey guys.

I haven't done this yet but was considering the question:

What differences (if any) would there be between the PuPs in my '63 Fender Precision and the standard wind Lindy Fralin's?

I know that Fender changed the qualities of their AVRI PuP's when they overhauled the AVRI model ine and I know that the Fralin's have a really big following and a solid, vintagey, somewhat unique sound (I have the Jazz set already).

I'm curious now if any qualities or similarities between the two overlap? Thinking about just diving in for the name science :bassist:
  2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

man, i'd call that a toss-up! fralins are indeed awesome (there's nothing i'd rather have than the vintage-wind fralin P in my bass) but the AV fenders are very nice too.
  3. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

What don't you like about the '63 pickup?
  4. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

You know, honestly I'm still trying to figure it out. I'm not sure thank I completely dislike it but It's a slight departure from the '62 PuP.
  5. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Having experience with both, I would choose the Fralin any day. It's not that I don't like the 63 pups, but I just like the Fralin that much more. One thing Lindy does well is make a very balanced and warm sounding pickup. The Fenders seem to have a dominant upper mid-range character to them (nothing wrong with that), but the Fralin's are just "right" across the whole spectrum. I've said it so many times, and its a cliche for the ages, but the after installing the Fralin's, it was like "a blanket was lifted off my bass"

Cheesy, but true.
  6. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

I think you really hit what I was looking for talking about the upper mid-range. It's not a bad sound by any means. I may go with the Fralins just for more balance though.

BTW --this bass will be wearing some medium Chromes when I get them in. I play a little bit of everything but predominately alt/indie type rock with this instrument.
  7. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

I just dunno about the Fralins. Right now they are A2 only and they sound kind of lame to me (not necessarily because of Alnico 2).
  8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

huh? fralins are A5.
  9. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

Not as they are made right now. I got A2 and asked about it and they said that's how they do it right now because they feel it reproduces the vintage sound better.

Mind you I normally prefer A2.

Not sure what's up with that and/or whether the Alnico choice even plays a role. But to my ears the SPB1 and the Lollar sound a lot punchier.
  10. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Well I went ahead and ordered the Fralins. Looking forward to trying them out on my '63 w/ Chromes!
  11. Lownote38

Lownote38

I use the Fralins in a Reissue P-Bass, and they sound great. I think you'll fall in love with them pretty quick!
  12. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized fEARful/FEARLESS/greenboy designs builder
    Tried both, kept the Fralin :)
  13. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

Let me know whether you get A2 or A5. The info will be on the box.
  14. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

I'll report back when I receive the pickups.
  15. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I think you'll be very happy. One of the best sounding P basses I've ever owned was a Classic 50's Precision with Fralin stock winds. I ALWAYS regretted selling that bass. I currently use Lollars in my AmStd P and am very happy with those as well. I think the Fralins shoot for what a sweet sounding Leo era P bass would have sounded like new, while the Lollar seem to shoot for the sound of an actual vintage pickup. I still like the the Fender CS and 62RI pups, but given the choice, I'd always choose Fralin or Lollar.