1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Sweat damaged poly finish?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Stone Soup, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Disclosures:
    GHS Strings, HipShot Products, Pick Guy custom picks
    Here's something I'd never seen before.

In the past, I noticed the back of my Stingray 5's body having a slightly cloudy look to it. I sweat a lot, sometimes. I figured it was sweat soaking into the finish a bit and it would dry out. I started noticing cracks in the finish, where the cloudy (sweaty) area was. At first, I thought I had put a couple scratches in the finish. Maybe, buttons had scratched it. Well, they have gotten worse, and I haven't been gigging it much, lately. Now, I have cracks that have split all the way through the finish and are curled up on the edges. Pretty strange. I thought poly finishes were immune to stuff like this.

Have any of you ever seen this sort of thing before?

You can see the finish lifting, around the cracks.
    [​IMG]

Trying to use the light to show the curling edges of the cracks. Those are not indentations.
    [​IMG]

The bass is 10 years old.
  2. Pearly Gator

Pearly Gator

Looks like "buckle rash" or scratches from something else you were wearing.

/2 cents
  3. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it. Supporting Member

Some great relicing you've got going on there! :bag:
  4. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Disclosures:
    Yeah, I get that, but why does the finish around the scratches curl up and away from the body? Never seen it before.
  5. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well! Supporting Member

I have a bassist buddy that sweats like a sprinkler,no joke. This guys brings EIGHT shirts to every gig...I've seen him ruin many shirts,but the poly finish on his one and only bass has held up fine for the last 15-16 years..
  6. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

i once had a '98 stingray5 (bought used in '03) with marks like that on it. no clue what caused them. in the 8 years i owned that bass, those marks never progressed passed being superficial. i wouldn't sweat it.
  7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Im sure sweat didn't cause it. I would guess its an adhesion problem that showed itself after a few surface scratches were put in the finish
  8. Lownote38

Lownote38

That looks more like a paint problem than a sweat problem.
  9. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Disclosures:
    I guess I'll 'naturally relic' the finish right off this thing. I have always taken great care of my basses. I've seen budget instruments older than this that have no finish issues. It bugs me.
  10. Major Softie

Major Softie

My guess is that it's both: the scratches allowed the sweat to get under the finish and the wood swells there pushing up the finish.

Either scratches or sweat alone probably wouldn't have done all that, but it's quite easy to imagine with the two combined.
  11. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Disclosures:
    You're probably right. The finish is extremely thin. They're probably button scratches that were deep enough to let moisture through.
  12. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Not all poly finishes are created equal. I've seen poured poly table tops cloud up and crack from moisture coming out of the wood. If you catch it soon enough, a few passes with a propane torch usually clears it right up.

I've also seen poly finishes on furniture crack for no apparent reason. The only thing I can think of is improper mixing when the finish was originally mixed.
  13. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum) Gold Supporting Member

I once saw alien piss do that to a finish....just saying
  14. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Disclosures:
    Good info, here. :)

I haven't pissed aliens, in ages. Thanks for playing.