Sweaty hands!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mattattrill, Dec 22, 2013.

1. mattattrill

mattattrill

Hey guys, just need some advice,

I suffer from really sweat hands which causes my strings to die quickly?

Are there any solutions to this?
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Play flats and embrace string death?
  3. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

I do too at times..no glossy neck finishes and a small fan near where I play and it's all good.
  4. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Fingerless gloves(I use these for circulation issues)
    OR
    cornstarch baby powder(and don't wear black clothes). The cornstarch "trick" was discovered in the 80's when we had studio time booked and their AC died the day before our slot. This was in New Orleans in August. My wife suggested the cornstarch baby powder because it worked so well on our diapered army at the time. At the windowless studio they had box fans on except during recording(90 degrees, about 99% humidity). My clothes were soaked when we were done but my hands were dry.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

If you have a--

Mild problem: keep a dry towel handy

Bigger problem: liquid baby powder (yes watch the black clothes). Or, instead of fighting to stay dry, you might want to embrace the slick: Use a little hand lotion

Serious sweat problem and you really want to stay dry: wear a wrist sweatband, and a few minutes prior to playing, rub some Mitchum roll-on deoderant into your hands.

Medically serious sweat problem: see your doc, there are remedies for it.
  7. Linnin

Linnin

That or play coated roundwounds. I've used DR Neons quite extensively and they are excellent.
  8. Jensby design

Jensby design

Wash your hands in scalding hot water before playing. The heat will take the moisture right out of your hands. I've been doing this for like 12 years now, for me it works for about 1 hour.
  9. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Wipe off your strings after each time you played. This will help to increase the lifespan of your strings.
  10. Precision101

Precision101

YES! You'll notice a huge difference! I suffer from sweaty hands too. Wash them in warm water for a couple seconds and dry them off. It will save you bucks!;D
  11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

That has worked beautifully for me since 1967.

My oldest strings were installed around 1972. They still sound great.
  12. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

Have you tried SweatBlock or Certain Dri or similar products? Also, the alcohol in hand sanitizer is supposed to help a little.
  13. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

I just use some Purell hand sanitizer whenever my hands start to feel sweaty. Works great.
  14. FourBanger

FourBanger

If you have an extreme perspiration problem there is a surgery that cuts a few nerves and stops you from sweating altogether. It would need to be more than just a problem for bass playing to get your doc to sign off on it though.
  15. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Try tapewounds. If moisture doesn't contact the strings, they ought to last longer. They're not as bright as normal rounds, though.