Sweeping/Arpeggios up the neck

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by wishface, Feb 27, 2014.

1. wishface

wishface

Are there any good exercises for developing a technique playing across the strings in what might be described as sweeping? For example playing a simple E minor arpeggio from 12th E, 15th E, 14th A, 14th D, 12th G to 16th G.

As a standard 2 finger player playing that fast from low to high is difficult because you can't sweep up in the same way you can perhaps rake downwards.

I don't tend to use hammerons and would rather develop the ability to pluck every note at speed than rely on hammering, and that's the only way i've seen people do this (other than pick players) when i've googled or youtubed this topic.

Thanks.

2. the_stone

the_stone

Use a metronome.
    Start slow, bump up the tempo a little at a time.
    Get to a tempo where you are struggling to keep up. Back the metronome back down to where you can play cleanly.
    The next time you practice, see if you can bump up the "too-fast" tempo even more.

No tricks, no shortcuts. Just slow, steady practice, especially if you don't want to hurt yourself.

3. Kyle_S

Kyle_S

Maybe consider adding some more fingers when playing ascending arpeggios? It's how Erlend Caspersen does it. I think he'd tell you that his way is not the best or only way, but I've never seen anyone else do what he does. Worth trying, anyway.

4. wishface

wishface

So no particular technique worth studying for this?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

Play scarified by racer x

7. vin*tone

vin*tone

I found this run easier to play: 12E 10A 9D 14D 12G 16G.
    With first 3 notes are on sep strings you can start that run up more smoothly.

8. Erlend

Erlend