1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Sweet Roger Waters bass work

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Spectrum, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Spectrum

Spectrum

Old Floyd fans will know about this, but I'm still surfing the youtubes for old PF gems. This version of "Embryo" is amazing, and Roger's bass playing and sound is a huge part of the equation. Anyone who says he can't play bass is FALSE.

I love him on the Pompeii version of Echoes, too, but I think that Embryo recording has it beat.

2. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

I don't care if he can play the bass or not. He is the mastermind behind Pink Floyd. That alone makes him a legend.

3. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

The fact that he can makes him even more majestic!

4. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

I've always rated Roger's playing

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

david played bass for him on alot of albums. He was not very interested in playing bass, more into writing and vocals.

There were even jokes where he would come into the studio and say to david, "thanks for winning me (x bass playing award)"

He also had to get richard or david to tune his bass before a gig.

Still a very talented man though.

7. Spectrum

Spectrum

True perhaps, but this is not a thread about David Gilmour's bass-playing, it's about Roger Waters, who is without a doubt playing on the link I posted.

And you are right; he is talented, as both a songwriter and a solid rock bassist.

8. Basshappi

Basshappi

One of the best P-bass tones ever.

9. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

10. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

Yes. Maybe. But we don't know to what extent. David Gilmour said a lot of stuff about Roger Waters in the '80s, when he was trying to move the (bloated, coke-ridden) behemoth of Pink Floyd in a different direction. He was understandably hurt by the way Roger was steering the band into the '80s with The Final Cut, which was a lesson in sub-Wall obfuscation both musically and lyrically.... Roger was turning the band into his own backing band, which I think is fair enough. When the chips are down Gilmour is creatively bankrupt at best. How does On an Island stack up, musically, lyrically and intellectually, against The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking? Its a non brainer.Gilmour's stuff is a cathartic release from the Waters oppression that swept the band away after 1975. A band that could only logistically play stadium gigs, guiltily, and try and peddle acoustic songs to an audience that wanted to drink beer and fight to the middle guitar solo of Money on repeat...

Waters is a better bassist than many want to admit. However there seems to be these atrophied tropes within the bass community that I've never seen elsewhere. Some bassists are unquestionably good, others are unquestionably terrible. Everybody wants to analyze Jamerson's I-IV-V progressions and nobody wants to talk about Waters' I-IV-V progressions. In fact I've never seen John Wetton's technique, Ray Schulman's technique or Chris Squire's technique talked about in any detail on this forum, yet people will argue page after page about the virtues of not mixing speaker diameters, or not using a brand of strings, or the importance of high-mass bridges on overall tone... weird world.