1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Sweet synthy syrup

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Harry_Champion, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Harry_Champion

Harry_Champion

Zoom 506 octave into black Russian Muff - ZOMFG! :hyper:

Set a Zoom patch so that the only things on were the 'Ut' vintage (gain turned down) + the octave at maximum mix (O6 I think).

Big Muff is on V: 9 o'clock, S: 11, T: 12

...Found that the bass I was using wanted a bit more growl, so I chucked a Hot Cake on with the Drive down and the Presence turned up…

Who says you need a Super Synth?

Woot woot!

Then I levelled-up: a touch of filtery goodness with the Prunes (mix at 11 o'clock), then the Sansamp! :cool: :bassist:

I'll try post some audio asap. It sounds a bit along the lines of Paramore 'Fast In My Car' ...although I bet JMJ & Jeremy Davis chose completely different gear. My guess is that the Zoom isn't exactly top of their gear wishlist…

On that note though - the octave tracking on the Zoom is seriously under-rated. Anyone agree?

2. halfjackson

halfjackson Supporting Member

I don't have any experience with the Zoom, but I'd gladly listen to your results. Or anyone else achieving synth like sounds from their bass. :bassist:

3. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Yeah man, i'm with ya. The 506/607 have THE subbiest, best tracking, bowel-massaging octave down's i've ever heard! :bassist:

4. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

Are you comparing it to a Markbass specifically?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Harry_Champion

Harry_Champion

Mmmmm…. bowel massage… wait what? :p

Doesn't complain much with a low A (27.5Hz anyone?), I can't imagine wanting anything lower. The Ut seems to give it a bit more growl too. Only complaint is the wet/dry mix - can't pull the dry all the way out

7. Harry_Champion

Harry_Champion

…tbh I bet it's got nothing on the MBSS, except possibly tracking

For a while I was looking for a pedal that turned my bass into a synth, now I'm just looking for cool sounds.

I made this dark VST saw-wave thing in Ableton, and the set-up above sounds thick and creamy enough that I've rerecorded it.

mp3's to come

8. Harry_Champion

Harry_Champion

Can the 607 do a wetter octave mix? I think the 506 only does about 60/40, or maybe even 50/50. It works well enough but maybe it would tidy up the tone if I could get a touch less of the original

9. David Beers

David Beers

Disclosures:
    Sales, Marketing, Design @ Brimstone Audio
    Along the lines of creating synth-like tones without synth pedals, one my favorites is to run either a Rat or Big Muff with the gain cranked up into an envelope filter (I use the Maxxon, but that's not important). You can then add the octave pedal last if you want the extra booty. The key is to set the sensitivity on the env. just right... The distorted, compressed signal out of the rat opens the filter in a very predictable, consistent way. You can really get a good Bootsy tone this way. Anyway, there's my 2 cents.

I also use and love the Microsynth (the old one) and the Moog Freqbox, so I'm a big fan. Used to have a Deep Impact, sold it for $600 when I was broke a couple years ago :( Miss that one.

10. Harry_Champion

Harry_Champion

I'm itching to get my hands on a Freqbox - I used my mate's the other day and it killed.

Here's some quick audio (not my bassline but I wish it was):

https://soundcloud.com/bassplayinggoalie/bass-guitar-sounding-synthy

1. Hot Cake > Sansamp
    2. Hot Cake > Zoom > Sansamp
    3. Hot Cake > Zoom > Muff > Sansamp
    4. Hot Cake > Zoom > Muff > Prunes > Sansamp

The Hot Cake is acting as both a buffer and a slight mid boost.
    The Prunes' mix at 11 o'clock, drive at 2:30

11. David Beers

David Beers

Disclosures:
    Sales, Marketing, Design @ Brimstone Audio
    The Freqbox is righteous with the expression pedal, or even two of them. You can do some really sick filter sweeps and essentially make "aliens are abducting my mind from my head" type sounds.

12. Harry_Champion

Harry_Champion