1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

SWIRLING

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Angel LaHash, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

Right i guess a lot will just click on tihs because not sure what it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk39PRZ1JhQ&feature=g-high-rec

I am trying to put together every thing needed to do this to a guitar. From getting the guitar NAKED (NO PAINT at all)

as far as i know .. not a wood worker or any thing
    1) sand it down a bit ( i hate terms like bit because one persons dinner is another guys snack) this is so the PRIMER can get a grip in to the wood (im guessing as dont really get told this stuff just got fragments of chat logs all over the internet)

2)Prime it (dont know what kind of any thing, im guessing some white or clear primer stuff)

3) sand it again .. a bit .. (i dont know this bit but hay)

4) then you can swirle

CORRECT ME please and i can delete this Rubbish

SWIRLING (i may spell this wrong as i feel it should be Swerling)
    {www.swirling.com is a bit dead when writing this}
    http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_6853205_make-swirl-guitar-paint.html
    Well need a TANK for the guitar to go in to .. Tank of WATER!
    1.5 tbsp of Borax per gallon of water
    Im just playing with 1lt of water ( so 1/2 tbsp ) [1gallon being about 3lts {this is a US Gallon by the way}]
    Now i did read some thing to leave it standing in Room Temp for 1/2hr on the swirling site.

"Drip several drops of your first color into the water. It should spread out across the surface of the water. If it sinks or clumps, scoop it out, and thin it with an oil-based thinning medium"
    {mm mine sunk . i tried to tip it in from the tin tho from 15cm hight.. mm also the swirling site suggested to add water/borax to change the sinking thing so not sure there}

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/swirled.htm
    "Next, test the water with some oil paint to see if you have enough Borax in your water. Only a little drop is needed!! You should see the paint start to disappear or dissipate and spread (if you have enough Borax mixed in the water). If not then you need to add more Borax to your water. Once ready you can now test the which paint colors need to be thinned, some colors are thicker and need help spreading so adding a little “paint time extender” helps this. You can pick up “Extender” at any fine art shop."
    {well at least they say what happens if there isnt enougth borax}

2. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

Ok First things first
    1.5Tbsp to 1US Gallon (2.5267lt to 1Tbsp and 1lt is about 2/5Tbsp) {oh great i didnt know you had 3 types of Gallon}
    ... so far i got 1Cup to 5US Gallons or 50.. a bit of a diffence.. also got that 1.5tbsp to 1US gallon
    [ imperial gallon (≈ 4.546 L) United States (liquid....WATER) gallon (≈ 3.79 L), and the lesser used US dry gallon (≈ 4.40 L).]
    for testing as its dam complex to tie people down to talk about this
    Im using 1lt jug .. also Borax i got was from the internet Ebay
    for all i know about Borax it could be CokeCola just a white powder.

Cold in England at the moment so boiling the kettel, having a cuppa and using the rest 1lt adding the Borax and leaving outside to cool for 30min

WOW there is a LOAD .. of RUBBISH about this SUBJECT and no one knows any thing.. read that many Negitive comments and people asking the same questions

Personaly i want to do the BORAX way.. I can get hold of the stuff easy and cheaper than the other
    1) Temp of the water
    2) Water to BORAX Mix [2.5267lt to 1Tbsp] [5Gallons (18.95lt) to 1cup (250ml) so 1lt to 13.19ml)
    3) how long to leave it to stand for (suggested 30min to mix and settle)
    4) what type of Paints (Humbole some modeling paints been suggested to me)
    ....if they need thinging down and how to do so (said that Humbole dosnt need thining)
    5) what happens
    ....a) if not enought Borax
    ....b) if too much borax
    ....c) too Hot water
    ....d) too cold water

I joined one FORUM just to talk to someone who did swirling and turns out that a lot of them left (old post) but managed to track down one .. who said it was rubbish .. even after saying how great it was in the Forum.. this is the problem .. so many talk RUBBISH

I got to play with the measurments and find out for myself.. too many fakes online

3. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

4. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

lot of reading and some cheap paints.. i got this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Testing on Little Bits of Wood was EASY.. but on a GUITAR.. that dam thing FLOATS.. and i hard to do put it under twice.. once one way then the other way, what isnt that bad as it just adds a swirl on another swirl.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Do think the Scratch Plate needs some thing now .. can go a bit Over the Top cant it

5. Register to disable this ad