1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Switched from Active to Passive

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kerrycares, Dec 23, 2013.

1. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

After years of playing active basses I recently went back to a passive set up and have been really pleased with the results.

I play through an in ear system and the active system and light combination was creating unwanted noise.

I converted my 70's Jazz 5 with Lindy Fralins and Bartolini pre over to a 60's stack knob configuration and run through a Countryman Active DI to the board.

Sounds great,no noise and no fear of battery failure.

It will be interesting to see if I miss the preamp the next time I have to play directly into an amp.

Thanks to my bass buddies that helped me get rid of the noise and land in a really good place.

Happy Holidays!
  2. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

Welcome to the club. I did the same thing a few years ago... sold my active Washburn bass and bought passive basses from that time on. The primary reason was fear of battery failure in the middle of a set - and I just like to keep my rig simple. Of course, its a personal preference. I would never suggest to someone who prefers active basses to go passive.
  3. Jbassrockboy

Jbassrockboy

Passive for me...and I agree it keeps things simple, but I also think there is a unique quality with passive...

Rossa
  4. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

For sure passive basses have a more organic sound. That said, both of my pedalboards have an outboard preamp.
  5. kerrycares

Had to make one small modification to my "pre wired " harness that was grounding out and giving me no sound. It's all good now.
  6. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Is that the bass in your profile picture? Gorgeous.
  7. Rickenbass

Rickenbass Supporting Member

I play both and have no issues transitioning between them. I own primarily single coil Rickenbackers, so I'm no stranger to noise. For the record, I own a few humbucking Rickenbackers as well.My active bass is a Spector NS2.

My first foray into active basses was on a Modulus Q5 a few years back. Nice bass but I found I did not "need" the low B. Tone wise the bass was a monster and needed to be EQ'ed differently from my Rickenbackers. Louder? Yes. Better tones? Not so much but that is a subjective question/answer.

Right now my Spector and my Rickenbackers coexist harmoniously in my arsenal. I do tend to favor the sound of a passive pick up. For me a bigger learning curve was more frets and a longer scale on the Spector!

Sepp
  8. dabbler

dabbler

Interesting. How many of you play with a light touch? I am kinda heavy handed, but considering a change to a light touch, and while I play passive, active seems, to me, to work better when I use a light touch.
  9. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

I tend to play with a medium to heavy touch, a compressor helps even things out, especially with active basses. I play passives 95% of the time.
  10. kerrycares

That is he , the Red Rooster!