switched to bass from guitar.?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by connecticutbass, Feb 20, 2013.

1. connecticutbass

connecticutbass

I played guitar, and favored the guitar for more than ten years. Throughout that time I had an interest in the bass and only played bass here and there but I didn't consider myself a bassist. About a year and a half ago the music director at my church asked me to play the bass and before long I was playing and working on the bass exclusively. I have now been playing bass exclusively for more than a year and barely pick up the guitar, and when I do it feels somewhat awkward. I so love the bass guitar now and prefer it by a long-shot.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

2. DeMayunn

DeMayunn

Yes, played guitar for 7 years, bass player in band quit and since i was somewhat interested in a bass at that point i decided to replace him myself, ended up happier with a bass than i ever was with a guitar.

3. michael_t

michael_t

I picked up an acoustic guitar when I was 16 years of age, and was a die-hard "folkie" all through my 20's. Then went into a musical hiatus during my 30's and 40's.

It wasn't until a few years ago in my early 50's that I even thought of learning to play the bass. All I can say now is "why didn't I think of doing this sooner?"

I have no interest in going back to playing the guitar ever again.

4. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Supporting Member

I did it too. I play guitar in 2 bands and bass in 1. It's all good!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Nope.. I started on bass at 14.
    All the other kids were playing guitar.
    Just got into a bit of guitar 8 years or so ago

7. bass4worship

bass4worship Supporting Member

I always wanted to play guitar couldn't get the fingering right so bass it is.

8. dabbler

dabbler Supporting Member

My story is almost exactly the same as yours. Minister of music said if he could only have bass or guitar, he needed bass. only difference in my story is guitar still feels like home... maybe cause that's the only place I play it.

9. Hauhnar

Hauhnar

yup...i started out on guitar when i was twelve; after a year or so, i started on drums. i played both the instruments for a very long time; i was more of a drummer though. during this time, i was always interested in the bass guitar too, but i never got around to it. then when i was in my second year of college, a friend of mine got into a singing competition where you can either bring a soundtrack or a small acoustic band (bass and guitar). he mentioned it one day and i thought that this was a good time to finally pursue my interest in bass. i borrowed a bass from a friend and went to jam. we performed two songs (mr. big and dream theatre); the basslines were great and all, but they didnt really imoressed me (i was exposed to only mainstream rock music during this time). then one day i was surfing youtube videos and came upon King Curtis and the Kingpins playing Memphis Soul Stew, with jerry jemmot on bass..changed my life man. than jamerson came, willie weeks, jaco..etc etc and the rest is history! now i play bass exclusively :) (i'm currently looking for musicians in my area for a soul cover band)

10. Eric_71

Eric_71 Supporting Member

I'm a bit behind you in timeline, but in a very similar situation. It was always an intention of mine to play bass, but I could never get seriously involved in anything without a rock-ready bass rig. I switched churches about a year ago, they needed a second bassist really bad, so I started there while going DI.

When I moved and found my current church, they needed both a second guitarist and bassist and I decided on bass since I could help the most there. Since then, they've brought in another guitarist, which basically means I'm locked in on bass. In the meantime, I've collected some bass equipment and successfully joined a band as a bassist.

Guitar is still a bit more fun for me, but it's looking like any music in my future is going to be 90% bass. I'm actually a little conflicted about it: I would like to work on both the guitar and bass, but I don't really know which one to focus on. I think my skills and mindset are more bass-ish, but I have to admit that I'm more excited about the guitar at present.

Any feedback on my future direction?

11. Herrick

Herrick

Hi Eric_71. I was in a similar position deciding which instrument to focus on. I was playing guitar exclusively for 5 years or so but I had played bass before that. In 2010, I decided to start up bass again and kinda went back & forth between bass & guitar. I had a real tough time picking which one to play because I don't have the drive or musical talent to focus on both. So I decided that I'd rather produce bass sounds more than guitar sounds. That may change but I've mostly been playing bass the last year. Every now & then, I'll play my guitar but it doesn't stay out for very long.

It sounds to me like you will be able to excell at both instruments like others on this forum. Enjoy :D

12. ics1974

ics1974

Guitar for 6 years and bass for 9 months. Havn't played my guitar in 9 months.

13. audiomitch

audiomitch

I always wanted to play bass. Played bass exclusively for about 10 years before I started playing guitar.

I think every guitarist should learn to play "in the pocket", and a good way is to learn the basics of bass. IME, most bass players turned guitarists are very solid guitarists, while most guitarists playing bass flounder around quite a bit until they take it seriously ;)

I still consider myself a bass player first.

14. tmdazed

tmdazed

Started playing guitar at 14, took the bass up at 30. still play both but primarily bass now. Also play trumpet, a little keys and sing

15. Kingbreaker

Kingbreaker

Honestly both are sideshows for me. . . I've had bass bass since age 17, guitar from about the same time. But I've also done a lot more with Scottish music (pipe bands) and Irish music (sessions and bands) than with rock or any other mainstream music. Woodwinds feel a lot "safer" - much easier to go on autopilot during a gig.

Fretted instruments are more of a means of relaxation and meditation than performance, for me.

16. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I've been on Bass for well over 30 years and Loved it since the first Moment I played one. I can play guitar pretty well but it just doesn't feel the same. Not near as rewarding IMO.

17. Eric_71

Eric_71 Supporting Member

Interesting. Thanks for the input. This thread has made me think I should go all-in on bass for the moment, though occasionally I find a snob who turns me off to it.

Anyway, thanks for the perspective.

18. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain

I've been playing both for over 30 years, but more guitar than bass up until a couple of years ago. Now I rarely play any of my remaining guitars, sold my Marshall and Les Paul (most of the proceeds funded bass and PA gear), and am totally loving bass again. There are only a couple of guitars that I still would like to own, but many basses...

19. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

I switched from guitar to bass and it was the BEST thing I could have done. I found I was a much better bass player than guitar player. You may not make such a drastic change. But, it never hurts to learn another instrument because it gives you a broader view of the whole musical picture. Nothing negative will come from playing the bass. Go for it! It's an investment in your over all musical skill set....and if you're not going to invest in yourself, what are you going to invest in?

20. HuntYouDown

HuntYouDown

I played guitar for 24 years, in the last year plus a little, I have played bass exclusively. When I played guitar, all I would listen to is the bass in the background. Now with me playing bass, I hear the drums mostly. It has definately improved my timing, and I feel cooler cause I am more like a drummer. Drums are ultra cool, just something I never really tried. I like the low end now. Guitars sound tinny and wimpy now to me. Also, I got sick of all the guitar equipment just to get a new sound, it got old to me. Now, with bass, I am realizing how strings seem tobe the most important piece of gear. Also, I like the beauty of the low notes of bass.

21. pcake

pcake

i played guitar for over 20 years, but the first time i played the bass in 1994, it was just amazing - the guitar never got me like the bass did.