Switched to passive pickups- Now my Pope Flexcore isn't working right- HELP

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by phishaholik, Feb 11, 2013.

1. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

This is probably from user error. I don't know much about electronics, but since I do all my other work on my own, I've been trying to do this install myself.

I had active EMG's going into my Flexcore before, but I switched them out for a passive set of PJ's. There's a D.Allen for the P pickup and a 5% overwound lateral humbucker from Lindy Fralin at the bridge.

I installed the pickups and removed the active pickup jumper from the preamp. I also had a tech install a ground wire to the bridge. I haven't run a ground from the shielding yet. The ground wire from the bridge is an uncovered braided steel wire that is in contact with the shielding foil, but it hasn't been soldered down.

My output is super low. I have to crank the gain on my amp way past what I did any time before and it's still low. The output is low whether I'm in passive or active mode. Also, the tone is rather muddy. It sounds like the tone knob is turned halfway when it's fully open, very little highs and upper mids. Finally and the worst part, when I pan the blend control to both pickups, the output drops to half of what it was before and all the lows and mids cut out. It's just a very weak and wiry tone.

I spent a lot of time and money on putting these pickups in and I'm frustrated and a little depressed I'm having issues.

Please help!

Michael

2. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Just got a super quick email back from Mike Pope. He told me my pickups are out of phase and I need to reverse the polarity of one of them. I'm going to try it out as soon as I get home.

He emailed me back in two minutes! That's customer service!!!!!!

Michael

3. dairyman3833

dairyman3833

Disclosures:
    Im an *******, but im ****ing good.
    What email did u use to contact him? Cause I am confused which configuration is for my bass. So I emailed him all the specs, and a link to my bass(Lakland Skyline 5502) so he said what do you mean switch after 3 months of waiting. And I replied immediately 3x now, and have still not heard anything. Really want to get this preamp, but with this customer service, gotta say id rather go with Aguilar or Sadowsky.

4. line6man

line6man

Sounds like you have the incorrect pot resistance for passive pickups. Does the bass have 250k or 500k controls running before the preamp?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

This

7. ReidK

ReidK Jst sy n t lssy cmprsn. Supporting Member

As the circuit designer correctly surmised (did you guys see post #2?), it was phase reversal: Fodera Club Part XVII

Reid

8. ReidK

ReidK Jst sy n t lssy cmprsn. Supporting Member

Just a suggestion: He's on Talkbass as thepontif. You could try a PM (or "conversation" as they're called now, apparently).

Reid

bThumper38 likes this.