1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Switched to passive pickups- Now my Pope Flexcore isn't working right- HELP

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by phishaholik, Feb 11, 2013.

1. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

This is probably from user error. I don't know much about electronics, but since I do all my other work on my own, I've been trying to do this install myself.

I had active EMG's going into my Flexcore before, but I switched them out for a passive set of PJ's. There's a D.Allen for the P pickup and a 5% overwound lateral humbucker from Lindy Fralin at the bridge.

I installed the pickups and removed the active pickup jumper from the preamp. I also had a tech install a ground wire to the bridge. I haven't run a ground from the shielding yet. The ground wire from the bridge is an uncovered braided steel wire that is in contact with the shielding foil, but it hasn't been soldered down.

My output is super low. I have to crank the gain on my amp way past what I did any time before and it's still low. The output is low whether I'm in passive or active mode. Also, the tone is rather muddy. It sounds like the tone knob is turned halfway when it's fully open, very little highs and upper mids. Finally and the worst part, when I pan the blend control to both pickups, the output drops to half of what it was before and all the lows and mids cut out. It's just a very weak and wiry tone.

I spent a lot of time and money on putting these pickups in and I'm frustrated and a little depressed I'm having issues.

Please help!

Michael
  2. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Just got a super quick email back from Mike Pope. He told me my pickups are out of phase and I need to reverse the polarity of one of them. I'm going to try it out as soon as I get home.

He emailed me back in two minutes! That's customer service!!!!!!

Michael