1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Switching between bass & synth; two amps/one cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jbiscuti, Jan 15, 2013.

1. jbiscuti

jbiscuti Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    POSSIBLE STUPID QUESTION ALERT :hyper:

I'm thinking about playing a keyboard as well as my P-Bass live, since many of our band's songs are modern dance covers; plus, I love playing keys and it'd be fun!

I'm trying to figure out the most efficient way to do it, without having to bring much more to gigs then I usually do.

Say my rig for a night consists of TWO Little Mark II heads (one for bass and one for synth) and ONE 2x10 cabinet. Could I send the speaker out of both heads into ONE cabinet, without doing any harm?
  2. R Baer

R Baer Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Baer Amplification
    NEVER plug two amps into one cabinet. It releases the magic smoke and that is a very bad thing indeed!
  3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are specialized switch-boxes for A/B toggling safely between two solid-state amp heads; however the added cost, versus just adjusting the EQ of ONE amp head for both instruments, is not worth it.
  4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Wouldnt it be easier to DI out to a small mixer, run you synth in to that as well, then drive the power section of your amp with it all?
  5. Stumbo

Stumbo Supporting Member

How about an a/b switch to select amp?
  6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

+1 This is how I would do it.
  7. jefkritz

jefkritz

or have an a/b switch between bass and synth going into 1 amp
  8. Baer

Baer

Little Mark amps have both a balanced line out and a balanced line in. Run one amp to the other using these connections.
  9. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Supporting Member

10. BassmanPaul

Certainly but at what price? A micro mixer is a few tens of bucks!
  11. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

All you need is an A/B switch. Bass amps and cabs typically work great for synth. You might want some kind of 2-channel preamp, but there's no reason to run 2 amps.
  12. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

+1

$39
  13. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Supporting Member

A cheap, semi-disposable micro mixer is probably not very transparent and it certainly won't inspire the confidence a bombproof piece of pro audio gear will. Your sound and rig reliability are only as good as the weakest link in your signal chain.
  14. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

This is what I would do.
  15. dspellman

dspellman

No, you can't do that.

I use a small mixer and run that into a single head and from there into a single cabinet. Couldn't be much simpler.
  16. BassmanPaul

Agreed, however even the cheapest µ mixer is cleaner than a lot of bass amps. Such is the revolution we're passing through.
  17. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

As a bassist/synth player, the idea to use a mixer is good. I use a Mackie 402-VLZ3 in my synth set up, and run it straight into a bass rig. The Mackie has inputs for line level, (the synth), instrument level, (the bass), and mic level, should you need it. Also has a handy 2 band eq on the 1st 2 channels. No need to use 2 amps, and certainly easier and safer than 2 amps into one cab, even with a switcher.
  18. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Be careful with synth lows into bass cabs, specialy a single 2x10.
  19. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Are you saying take the post-eq DI from the amp, blend that with the synth output, and send that to the power amp return?

Or take the send from the amp to the mixer and blend that with the synth and send that to the power amp return?

Maybe the two signal paths are identical, and I assume that the bass signal in each case will go through the preamp and eq, and the synth signal will obviously directly go to power amp.
  20. dagovna659

dagovna659

I use a $45 Behringer Xenyx 502 mixer (synth and bass into mixer) mixer out into my amp. You only need 1 amp. Also with the Pre and eq on the mixer really makes your sound crystal clear. If you get a chance go to your nearest GC or Sam Ash and try it, everthings already in the store, can't hurt. Good luck
    P.S. I've had my mixer since 2007 and no problems despite numerous gigs.