Switching strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by catcauphonic, Dec 25, 2013.

1. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

I've got a question regarding swapping out strings:

Since they include free setups for life when you buy a bass thru them, I had BassNorthwest take the Black Beauties off & put some DR Flats on it. Since then I've swapped those flats for the GHS Precisions (at home, with ease), and soon I'll want to swap these for a set of GHS Boomers I have. My question is how much tweaking am I likely going to have to do regarding truss, saddles, etc when I make the switch to the Boomers from flats? I'm still learning about different string qualities and how to do my own setups. I could just as easily take it to BNW and probably watch while they do it for me. Thoughts?

Bass is a Spector Forte-X. Flats 55-105, Boomers 45-105 mediums. And yes, I have watched & bookmarked several setup guides.
  2. unclebass

unclebass

You can set up flats with much lower action than rounds, same with larger gauge strings vs. lighter gauges. You will likely have to raise the action a fair amount to prevent fret rattle, as well as readjusting intonation. Once you settle on a particular string for your bass, you will likely be able to replace strings with little to no adjustments necessary.
  3. JustForSport

JustForSport

If the Boomers require less tension- tensile msrm't, not flexibility, to reach pitch,
    you may need to back off the trussrod just a little to get a bit of relief.