1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Switching to 35 inch from 34 inch scale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iwearpumas, Oct 28, 2013.

1. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Has anyone ever switched from 35 in from 34 in scale? Was it a hard transition?

2. alembicbones

alembicbones

For me I notice very little difference. I play 34" and 35" basses in an equally mediocre fashion.

Bones

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I interchange both and can't feel a difference in the basses themselves. I do like the feel of the strings on 35" scale better though.

4. cerokilik

cerokilik

I had a 3/4 p bass. Yea I have not the slightest clue as to how I happened upon it. played it for a couple months then bought a 35" EB3 scale bass, played it for two years. At first the transition was difficult because it was "ow gotta stretch more to get to the lower frets(1-5) then more recently got a 34" bass p bass. less of a stretch and not as much shoulder pain. I like the p bass better, I blame the neck and frets. But the only difference is the length and shape of neck in my case. the length difference is universal. 35 is a little more of a stretch while 34 is about standard.or it was at one time.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KJung

KJung

I switch from 34" to 35" and back week to week. Zero issue... very small difference (divide that 1" difference across all those frets, and it is very minor).

That being said, going from 35" to 34" should feel very good! Just that smidge smaller space between the frets at the first position.

Of course, body design makes a big difference (i.e., how far 1st position is out from the body). This can make more of a difference than that small difference in scale length.

Should be no problem. Biggest difference I notice is the tighter feel of the higher strings (using the same brand and gauge of string).

7. Joedog

Joedog

I've had several of both. Being 5'7" I notice the diff. but it is minimal to me. More important are the qualities of the particular bass.

8. Slade N

Slade N sunn #91 AZ Bands #? Supporting Member

I play both, have no issue switching but notice the difference

9. Thumpinshelton

Thumpinshelton

I cannot feel the difference between them to be honest. Both of my Laklands are 35" and my Fender Jazz V is 34". I can switch between them or any other 34" and not skip a beat!

10. wighat

wighat

It will only be an issue if you obsess over it, OP.

Tell me more.....I want to believe it exists.

11. lz4005

lz4005

Very true. I have a couple of basses that are the same scale, but the nut on one is 2 or 3 inches farther to the left because of the body design. That feels like a bigger difference to me than between basses with only 1 or 2 inches of scale difference.

12. Mike M.

Mike M.

I've played 34" scale basses forever. A few weeks ago I played a Yamaha TRB1005 and had no idea it was a 35" scale until I looked it up online.

13. Kael

Kael

I'm one of the few that notices and dislikes that extra inch. I play fretless more often than not, and that extra reach annoys me and has me concentrating more on intonation than playing music.

14. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Media:
    Albums:
    Being 5'6", I loath playing my 34" scale PBass. Got my eye on a 30" fretless 5 string. Best part: no one will want to play it!

15. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for The Patrick Godbey Band Supporting Member

I switch from my Telcaster bass (34") to my Modulus Quantum(35") with no problem. I've never really felt much of a difference. I wouldn't let a 35" scale put me off from trying a bass.

Cheers,
    Jim

16. Ponsonby_Britt

Ponsonby_Britt

I guess within the next few months I will be switching to a 34" once again. I did about seven or eight years back, but can't remember any discernible difference.

17. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

I've been playing 34 inch scales exclusively since 2006, and a few weeks ago I played a 35 inch, and it felt normal to me. I felt more comfortable on it.

18. lz4005

lz4005

Switching scale on a fretless, particularly an unlined one, would be a whole different ballgame.

I can use different scale fretted basses on the same gig no problem, but if I'm doubling on fretless they have to be the same scale.

19. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Supporting Member

I have both plus a 34" scale fretless and really don't notice the difference in scale. I find how the bass hangs is much more of an issue, although I prefer a neck that is 1 7/8" at the nut and 3" at the bridge (5-strings).

I had my current basses plus a Ken Lawrence Brase and they all hung differently. I found I was stretching just a tiny bit more with the Brase.

Dan K.

20. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Media:
    I switch between scales all the time. No problems at all. Takes a minute of playing and never a problem.

21. porterbass

porterbass Supporting Member

I have 34" and 35" scale fretless basses, Elrick 34" fretless 4 string, a Rick Turner Ren 34" fretless 4 string, and a Rick Turner Ren 35" fretless 5 string. I was worried about it at first, but I don't seem to have a problem jumping back and forth between them. One note...they are all lined fretless so I paid attention to begin with and was able to adjust my fingering technique depending on the bass/scale. Now, it is second nature with no thought to it once I start my first position. I think it has actually helped with learning proper intonation in my head if that makes sense.

I have an Elrick fretted 35" 4 sting being delivered this week so we'll see how that is in the mix.

I have wide shoulders and can see how body size and the bass body/neck setup would make a difference.