Switching to solo strings.

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by icanjam, Apr 7, 2014.

1. icanjam

icanjam

I bought my bass this winter and it came with orchestra strings. Now that orchestra session is over I wanted to switch to Belcanto Solo gauges for, you know, soloing.
    Frankly I'm scared to do it, I've been swapping strings on my guitars numerous times before but this is different. Is switching to that thiner gauge isn't going to hurt my new bass or require changing nuts or anything will it? Is tuning solo strings down to orchestra tuning so I can still practice the solos I play now going to put me at risk for the sound post falling? Will changing strings on a double bass be likely to cause the bridge to shift? At this point should I order the strings and bring them into the shop and have them do it? Thanks,

2. bskts247

bskts247

That should be fine. Maybe bring it to a shop so you learn how to change strings "properly". My friend plays Belcanto Solos when she wants solo strings and Evah Pirazzi orchestra strings. I don't think there is a reason to worry about the bridge falling. You wont need to change the nut as far as I know. Tuning down to orchestra tuning is fine but you dont get the same amount of "balls" (in my opinion). Hope that helps

3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator

You shouldn't need to cut the nut and the key is to change strings one at a time, so that there is always the pressure of the other 3 strings holding things together. Nothing to worry about.

In the unlikely event that the soundpost falls (very unlikely), just take all of the tension off right away and get someone to set the soundpost before you bring it back to tension. But, one string at a time and you should be golden.

4. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Chief Low-Frequency Facilitator, Gollihur Music LLC
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SteveFreides

SteveFreides

I wouldn't bother changing strings.

-S-