1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Switching two pedals at the same time?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gonzo476, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

I would like to know if there is a compact pedal that would allow me to switch off my modulation pedals and turn on my dirt pedals and vice versa. Would the LS-2 work for this application? My current chain goes as follows:

Bass->Tuner->Micro Pog->Boss NS2->Chorus->Phaser->Delay 1->Delay 2/looper

In the loop of the noise suppresor I have:

From NS2->OD->Fuzz->Rat->Wah->back to NS2

If the LS-2 is what I'm looking for, how could I set it up?
  2. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

sounds like a PERFECT job for a LS-2 IF you want to have seperate loops (A: dirt B: modulation) then set it to A/B. You can also do a mix of A/B with level controls (plus lots of other things with an LS-2)
  3. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Or you can go the Stevie Ray Vaughn route and duct tape a piece of wood on top of them. Hilarious as it seems, that's what he did to record the funky "Say What" instrumental, eons ago. I also read a bassist (Tim Commerford ?) does this. But around here, we prefer pedals to duct tape, so yeah, as SF said

:)
  4. deathsdj

deathsdj Supporting Member

The Boss LS-2 is a really useful pedal. I use one to run two rigs at once. A clean rig and my dirty rig. Beautiful.

Cheers!

MJW
  5. mcnach

mcnach

Use very big shoes... Or the LS2 :p
  6. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

A passive 2 channel loop pedal could be an option for you, giving an independent on/off for dirty and modulation chains, so you can have one/the other/both. If you mean that you only ever go through modulations OR dirt, then any A/B will do you fine. The LS-2 is a pretty cool pedal if you want to mix signals and doesn't take up too much board real estate.
    On an aside, Tim Commerford has two 105Q Bass Wah pedals side by side with a piece of rubber attached across the two treadles so that he can use them at the same time! See here:
    [​IMG]
  7. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
  8. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

Try the Xotic effects "stereo x-blender" I think this is just what you're looking for
  9. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I have a this pedal from loop-master:
    [​IMG]

It allows me to switch between clean and dirty with one stomp, (right switch), bypass all, (center switch), and add swirly effects in either clean or dirty mode, (left switch).
  10. IncX

IncX

i use a boss LS2 on both my bass board and guitar board ... it is very useful that i usually have 2 sets of fuzz, distortion, OD, modulation and delay, so i can switch on different combinations without having to tap dance on 4 pedals.

theres a bass part in one of our originals where from a fuzzed tone, i would switch to a quiet one that has an envelop filter, chorus, and delay, before switching again to the fuzzed out tone for the final chorus.
  11. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

A bassist after my own heart! I have a slightly different solution I use on my board. One of my dirt pedals has an "effect out" and "clean out". I run from the "effect out" into the rest of my dirt pedals, and from the "clean out" into my modulation pedals. The dirt pedals go into point A on an ABY box, and the modulation pedals go into point B.
  12. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I sometimes use my boss line selector to do exactly what the op is asking. It's a very versatile pedal. I'm actually thinking about getting a second one for my board. Just hook dirty pedals to one loop, modulation to the other and switch back and forth. You can turn the effects that are out of the signal path (the loop that's not active) on and off to set up the next part of the song. The reason id like two is i like to use mine as a blend pedal when using my gt2 for dirt to retain lows so currently i have to switch modes from time to time for different sounds. If you have a dirt box that your happy with the low end on you could definitely do what the op is saying with a single line selector.