1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Swollen Pickle Mk2 vs Tonebender

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lowpro, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Okay this is a half rant, half "am I doing something wrong" kinda post. I have the Swollen Pickle Mk2 which was recommended to me as a fuzz pedal. I also have a Tonebender which I pulled the trigger on and I love the thing (there is NOTHING I've heard that keeps the bottom like that thing) however I have mostly active basses and my only passive one is a fretless. That means the character of the fuzz is hard to shape; basically I can dial in fuzz and volume but as far as kinda having that "envelope fuzz" that's all in the hands and with the active basses preamp, standing around and moving I can't always be so delicate.

So I watched some YT videos of it and know that it isn't as "in your face fuzz" that tingles the gums but figured I could shove some volume through it. Sadly I haven't been able to get that same "envelope" kinda fuzz where you play harder or 5th's and get a full nice fuzzy tone and then wind back to a deep drone.

My bass's controls are either max volume (Spector is 2 volume knobs, one for each pup and I only like it when both pups are cranked all the way) and I use my BOSS EQ flat and just lower volume there. With my Yamaha I do all EQ and volume using its preamp. For both I can't get the Swollen Pickle to do what I dreamed it could do =(

Kinda like this at 2:30 and yes he uses a Swollen Pickle live; I know for recording he used about 4 fuzz pedals but for Ethel he used the Pickle, he told me personally XD

2. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
  3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    internal whatnow....oh....neat!