1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Swollen Pickle Mk2 vs Tonebender

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lowpro, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Lowpro

Lowpro

Okay this is a half rant, half "am I doing something wrong" kinda post. I have the Swollen Pickle Mk2 which was recommended to me as a fuzz pedal. I also have a Tonebender which I pulled the trigger on and I love the thing (there is NOTHING I've heard that keeps the bottom like that thing) however I have mostly active basses and my only passive one is a fretless. That means the character of the fuzz is hard to shape; basically I can dial in fuzz and volume but as far as kinda having that "envelope fuzz" that's all in the hands and with the active basses preamp, standing around and moving I can't always be so delicate.

So I watched some YT videos of it and know that it isn't as "in your face fuzz" that tingles the gums but figured I could shove some volume through it. Sadly I haven't been able to get that same "envelope" kinda fuzz where you play harder or 5th's and get a full nice fuzzy tone and then wind back to a deep drone.

My bass's controls are either max volume (Spector is 2 volume knobs, one for each pup and I only like it when both pups are cranked all the way) and I use my BOSS EQ flat and just lower volume there. With my Yamaha I do all EQ and volume using its preamp. For both I can't get the Swollen Pickle to do what I dreamed it could do =(

Kinda like this at 2:30 and yes he uses a Swollen Pickle live; I know for recording he used about 4 fuzz pedals but for Ethel he used the Pickle, he told me personally XD

2. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident Supporting Member

3. Lowpro

Lowpro

internal whatnow....oh....neat!