Swollen Pickle vs Sonny Bluebeard

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Musicman1901, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

Hey everybody, I have recently been hit with some fuzz GAS again and am trying to decide between these 2 pedals. I know a lot of people are going to say the bluebeard right away but I feel like I can't count the swollen pickle out. It sounds like a great fuzz. I would love to hear opinions from people that have used these pedals. Especially people that have tried both! Thanks everybody!

2. rbacker95

rbacker95

I've never tried the bluebeard, but I love the swollen pickle. It's an awesome pedal. I would try both before you buy, but the swollen pickle is a hell of a fuzz pedal

3. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer

Bluebeard. I owned the Pickle and, judging from all of the demos, the Bluebeard owns it.

4. franksgbass

franksgbass Supporting Member

I have owned them both. The pickle is more tweak-able than the Bluebeard. And it has more low end for sure. I'm not saying the BB is bad. They are both nice muff clones. Honestly, you should really consider the Grey Stache vs. the Pharoah. Same price range, and in my honest opinion they are the best muff clones that iv'e tried. But, of course it'd be best to hear for yourself. I'm sure you will be hear plenty of others chime in on the topic. Best of luck to you.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ngh

ngh

the bluebeard is in a class of it's own. if you want a muff clone the bluebeard is the way to go in my humble opinion.

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    here's a partial list of some of the 'muff based' pedals:

EHX Civil War
    EHX Green Russian
    Earthbound Audio SuperCollider
    Blackout Effectors Musket
    Way Huge Swollen Pickle
    BlackArts Pharaoh
    Catalinbread Manx Loagthan
    Mojohand Iron Bell
    Earthquaker Devices Hoof
    Cornish G2
    BJFE Fire Red Fuzz
    Bass Big Muff
    W&C TFR
    S&S Bluebeard

out of all of those, my personal faves are the Cornish G2, The BJFE/MP Fire red Fuzz, the BE Musket, and the EA Super Collider.

8. Musicman1901

Hmmm I remember awhile back considering getting a grey stache and I never got around to it. My current fuzz is a colorsound tonebender which I plan on keeping. This will be my secondary fuzz. So I'm definitely wanting the one that's most "different" from the tonebender.

9. Musicman1901

It's interesting you say that because awhile back I posted a thread comparing the stache and the bluebeard and everybody was essentially telling me how they were apples and oranges.

10. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

I would love to try a G2. John...did you build your own?

11. franksgbass

franksgbass Supporting Member

If you are looking for different look into the baby thunda from Dwarfcraft. Or the Heliotropic from Fuzzrocious.
    Check out the fuzz wars on pedals and effects. http://www.pedalsandeffects.com

12. Musicman1901

Fuzzrocious seems to have alot of nice dirt pedals. I don't know what distracted me from getting some stuff from him about a year ago when I was interested. The grey stache seems a little more tame compared to the bluebeard. I have never tried either of them. Just going by videos

13. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    yep.

14. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident Supporting Member

I owned the Swollen Pickle. Great sounds in there, but way too complicated to use. Many knobs, and the internal trimpots are, unfortunately, essential in getting a good sound out of it. Having to open the pedal to fine tune the sound is a huge design failure imho.

I don't know about the bluebeard. But if you haven't chosen yet, like many people suggested above, have a look at the Fuzzroicious, Wren and Cuff and Dwarfcraft stuff. And the Malekko Diabolik of course...

15. VeganThump

VeganThump

You can cop a pretty good muff tone with the Fuzzrocious Heliotropic. I owned that pedal and really liked it a lot, it's somewhere between a muff and a rat but it's definitely quite muffy.

16. Musicman1901

I looked up a couple videos of the grey stache and it seems more grindy with alot more presence in the mids which is nice but it seems much more subtle than the bluebeard. It sounds like it cant really scream as well. Also, that's a good point about the pickle. I don't need 10 knobs plus internal trimpots to dial in a good fuzz sound. It will honestly probably annoy me haha

17. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I went through a huge Muff clone phase where I owned quite a few of them. I had a Pickle but no Bluebeard. In the end I decided on keeping only my BE Musket. It's just a great fuzz with everything you need to get a killer sound.

One of these days I will be getting a Civil War Muff or a Wren & Cuff Box of War.

18. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty Supporting Member

From the fuzz wars thing, the Guthrie Trapp video: Hey, look, it's Michael Rhodes!

19. Musicman1901

leaning more towards the blubeard although somebody recommended the malekko diabolik fuzz which sounds pretty incredible as well!

20. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Sad that folks seem to overlook the Mojo Hand BMP-1. That thing KILLLS.

21. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

I own a Bluebeard, and if you want screaming fuzz, this is your guy.
    It does muffled fuzz too.

I owned a Tall Font Russian (different beast really) and it has LOT of low end content.

I compared the two, and the TFR won for board space due to this.

However, when it came time to hock pedals for much needed cash, I sold the TFR and kept the Bluebeard.

The Bluebeard doesn't cut too much lowend for straight through to amp use (without clean blend), and you can always boost the low-mids after it if you like using a preamp (I do, works great).

But it screams, and is kinda amazing when pushed into other drives/fuzzes etc.
    Gain for days.

The only drawback I see is the wait period, but you can email Sonny and get a decent estimate on build/delivery time. Unless you buy used of course.